CBT

lopylui

I did the DAS for mine! The CBT obv on day one! Did that on an SR125. You couldn't stop me. I had been riding mopeds since 87. But never bothered as I never saw the need in a full bike licence when I passed the car! I then had access to moped full license too. It wasn't until a girlfriend started her DAS thatvI decided to go for it myself. The idea being we could go out together. I bought a GPZ600R and had it in the kitchen stripped to rebuild. She bought a old Suzuki katana.

Anyway I flew through the course and applied for my test date! The date I chose fell on my birthday! And I was buzzing when I passed. Her test was a week later! So on her test day I dropped her off at the instructors, and waited in a cafe. She walked in head down and not too good. She had failed, but wouldn't say what on! So i told her to put in for the test again, and have more lessons in the meantime. This she did. But she failed again? I asked repeatedly but she would not let me know what on? she said she couldn't afford to keep going, so I offered to pay to let her try again. She refused and went into a mega strop. Not long after that we broke up! I have a sneaking suspicion. But it's not going to change the outcome of our relationship! She now passed her car test a few year back, and has a good job! She was in touch recently updating me on things, and how her daughter is doing at uni etc. Good luck to her and her daughter! I am pleased she has done so well in her life. But it's a shame she never passed her bike test.

I rode quite a few large bikes since passing. But I still have a soft spot for small bore bikes. Mopeds, scooters, 50cc trails bikes? The bigger bikes don't have as much interest?

My fetish is for big singles. My last 2 big singles were the ktm mxc 525 desert racing edition and before that a ccm604e supermoto. What a laugh they were :lol: now I've had to go sensible as I'm commuting so I bought a zzr600. Now looking at the new gsxr 🙄 much to my Mrs delight :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fetish is for big singles. My last 2 big singles were the ktm mxc 525 desert racing edition and before that a ccm604e supermoto. What a laugh they were :lol: now I've had to go sensible as I'm commuting so I bought a zzr600. Now looking at the new gsxr 🙄 much to my Mrs delight :lol:

Good going sir! What the Mrs doesn't know eh??

Passed my test in 81 (no cbt in those days) was Sept so two months after 17th birthday. Bike was Honda xl125. Test taken at Southport as there waiting list was short. Examiner stands on pavement says "go down there turn left at junction then left at crossroads then left at traffic lights at some point I will signal for you to do emergency stop"

Off I go watching speed and trying to do everything right. Follow the route and just after the lights examiner jumps out of a shop doorway into the road (well kerb) and holds clip board up, I slam my drum brakes on and eventually stop. Examiner tells me "well done son, you have passed"

That was it, full licence issued....suzuki katana came next

That was just like my test. Almost felt guilty getting the pass certificate, it was over so quickly and seemed too easy to be true really. Rode home with a massive grin though....

That was just like my test. Almost felt guilty getting the pass certificate, it was over so quickly and seemed too easy to be true really. Rode home with a massive grin though....

Ha, yep big grin for me too. Different era mate, may as well have done test via phone 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Looking around at options for a 125 bike.

Dont want to spend a ton as I hope to pass full test in the future so would sell it on.

Im a big lad, 6ft and over 18 stone as I do a lot of weight training (and eat too much) lol, so hopefully not something that makes me look like a clown on a kids bike!

Any recommendations? Hoping to stay below £1000.

After having lots of fun on the Husky over the fields have decided to do my bike test.....CBT Sunday, training Thursday, Part 1 test Next Tuesday and Part 2 the week after!

Only sticking point is the theory test this PM...only booked it yesterday....and 30 years of bad habit driving and ignoring road signs may not help!

Where do I sign up. It sounds just like the golden ticket im looking for!

Bet was placed by my then 'mate' who had the Honda, I passed and got the keys till I bought myself a CB500S for commuting, kept that for 10 years didnt miss a beat!

Golden ticket? I aint so sure cosin the end my missus left me to go live with him in a floating caravan!

What a bloody good mate eh!!!!!

Edited by masmiffy

Bloody hell think you might be more skilled than me lol

Yer going for a 125 geared bike hopefully, I liked the Honda CG 125 I might try and get one of them

Only want something for couple months as I'm hoping I'll be able to pass the full test around next summer :)

I'd go for something boring like a CG 125 or similar. Like the chinese copy... Too many kids out there now, ******* about with engines for performance, wrecking the bike..

I did mine before my full bike license quite a few years back..... Anyhow, It's a mine-field regarding buying bikes. Be wise and get someone to have a look at it for you. You're pretty safe with a 4 stroke. But I'd avoid 2 stroke due to kids tuning and thraping the life out of them...

Have the mindset that every other road user is trying to kill you, and you should be ok then!....

Ha, yep big grin for me too. Different era mate, may as well have done test via phone

Things have tightened up loads over the years

My Dad Passed his bike test in the early 1950s , the examiner said did he want an "all types licence" ?

"Yes please" says Dad thinking motorcycle and sidecar - But got a Car licence as well .

Held grandfather rights to PSV and HGV until they brought in the medicals.

Did the cbt when i was in my 30s,soon got hang of that,then straight onto the 500cc kwaka for full test,bit nervous at first but soon got the hang of it,got test quick and on the actual morning i had a brand new bike that was totaly different,20 miles to test centre and was first one out on road with the big bmw test guy following,all was going really well......till nearly back at test centre and as i pulled onto roundabout it stalled in middle of road :oops: ,blipped the clutch/starter/first gear all at same time and pulled away,gutted.

Back at test centre,totaly gutted,the examiner asked what had happened,blar blar blar new bike blar blar,well recovered situation and congrats you passed :yahoo:

First bike and last so far,(but am looking)yam 600cc yzf thunderbird,way to fast and me who cant ever be beaten not good mix and after a few scares :ninja: sold it for £2000 loss back to another bike shop,but still alive :rolleyes:

Funny this threads on here and still active, I had a spill today on my zzr so after a morning in hospital having xrays I've been told to rest it for a good while as there's too much bruising to see if anything is broken! On crutches and taking pain killers to see if I can get out shooting tomorrow! All of this pain and damage to bike? 25mph slide on a near invisible oil slick! Great :lol: had s new helmet, jacket and trousers not long ago that can now all go in the bin! Just remember when your riding that oil and manhole covers cause pain! It's not so bad in the rain when you can see the oil but today it was dry ish :lol: take care gents

Funny this threads on here and still active, I had a spill today on my zzr so after a morning in hospital having xrays I've been told to rest it for a good while as there's too much bruising to see if anything is broken! On crutches and taking pain killers to see if I can get out shooting tomorrow! All of this pain and damage to bike? 25mph slide on a near invisible oil slick! Great :lol: had s new helmet, jacket and trousers not long ago that can now all go in the bin! Just remember when your riding that oil and manhole covers cause pain! It's not so bad in the rain when you can see the oil but today it was dry ish :lol: take care gents

Done the same on black ice fella. Caught me out because it didn’t even feel cold that morning. Luckily for me, I stepped off the bike as I felt it starting to slide. Just stood there on the road watching it slide away. Only minor damage to the bike as well, old t500 Suzuki was my hack at the time, I’ve still got it. They seem to be worth daft money nowadays.

Oooo ZZ's are a heavy old lump as well.

Its that time of year when the road surfaces get slippery ☹ although I use to love this time of year when I had my KTM exc 👍 knobblies front and rear, sideways in and sideways out, great times 😎

Edited by Me matt