vintage tractor

viking

now the disco has gone i now have space in the garage again for my next project, and iv decided its going to be a tractor, was looking at some fergie 35's but there few and far between, and for some reason there going for £2000-£3000 unrestored or £4000-£5000 restored, doesnt make sense to do one yourself and lose a load of money, not that i want one for profit, so im looking for a tidy one that i can do up a bit and make mint, had a bid on ebay earlier at a fordson major new edition, but it made more than it should, i bowed out at £3200, found a couple more fordsons iv got my eye on,

post-9513-0-23093000-1508179471_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very good idea...... :good: ............look out for the Power major with the belt pulley on the side..................good machines majors...have a 2 stage clutch....good starters with excess fuel device....and i can rebuild the injectors for you.......did my time on majors.......... :good:

Just thinking...is that tyre on back to front?

Agree, they are a good tractor to bring back to life. I cut my teeth on a 'Big Sit up and Beg Major' with a straight six Perkins diesel conversion in the mid 50s... sat many hours with a flat roll trundling along behind as my Grandfather would have my guts for garters if I went any faster.

Drooled at the corners of my mouth when those new light blue Majors came out and our neighbour had one of the first. These kids driving these modern tractors have a cushy life ...all I had to ward off the weather was a 2 1/4 cwt railway sack turned in as a big hood. Happy days.

I wish I had one of those E27N Fordson models now. I could beat hell out of it with a big stick for all the sore backsides it has given me. They are fetching so much money now I would sell it and buy myself a couple of seasons shooting from the proceeds. The standard 4 cylinder TVO model was a pig to start. Had a young chap help on the farm who was built like the proverbial outside toilet and gave ours a might swing one day and it kicked back and knocked five front teeth out.

No joking apart, I think if I did want a restored tractor then the E27N would be my choice but with the Perkins Six and an electric start.

I see one advertised for £11,000 full restored

Edited by Walker570

my mate has just said that one fordson im looking at looks like an industrial one, is that a good or bad thing or neither here nor there

Looking at the ebay links I think I could do a ‘restore’ over a weekend— all it takes by the looks of it is a litre of hammering paint sprayed over everything except the gear levers......

thats what im thinking :good::good::good: start off nice and steady, dont want to be going over board :lol::lol:

i would like something with a little more to do on it :good:

We used to use an old Nuffield for getting the silage in because it pulled like a train and was fast(FOR A tractor).they restore well.

It had a pto flat belt pulley on the side as well.Used that on a sawbench in winter for cutting logs.

Edited by wisdom

Nuffield was a nice machine as was the David Brown with the wrap round body panels.

With regard to electric start, even the old Majors could have starter motors fitted. Our Perkins had one and two enormous batteries situated just in front of the steering wheel. I believe all the 'new' Majors had starters. Swinging a diesel would not be fun. I'm fortunate here, I have a vintage club just up the road and almost every Sunday if the weather is good they will be running around the area. Good to see these old machines looked after.