No Firearms/shotguns to be stored at home?

Bangbangman

Centralisation would indeed be impractical, as it was when proposed for handguns. We know how that ended.

Make no mistake- there is a simmering anti-gun sentiment in much of the non-shooting populace and our government knows this.

It is much easier to gradually ban guns than it is to address the underlying or genuine causes of gun-crime. Plus, as a politician, you can boast to the voters how much safer you have made them!

These proposals, along with the likely airgun licencing, are the beginning of the end for shooting in the UK. Media-driven, emotion-fuelled consultations about grouse moors and driven shooting will come in time.

I hope those reading and commenting on the threads relating to these proposals do not bury their heads in the sand and will complete the survey and write to their MP.

"Calming down" is not going to protect shooting. Do not be calm, be active.

Can you substantiate that? Or, perhaps, 'define it' would be more appropriate. Yep, I can see the reason if you mean for criminal/terrorist use, but if you mean the sentiment refers to the legal ownership/use of sporting/target guns (one good reason for avoiding the term, 'weapons' which many are silly enough to use), then in my experience the feelings of the vast majority vary between no concern and couldn't care less.

I do not for one minute recommend complacency, though.

Shooting orgs are nothing more than toothless tigers. Forget sending emails to mps ect most on it wont even get through he spam filter

Maybe so ,but its certainly a central point for organisation.

MPs and shooting orgs are nothing without votes, and members/subscriptions.....

Can you substantiate that? Or, perhaps, 'define it' would be more appropriate. Yep, I can see the reason if you mean for criminal/terrorist use, but if you mean the sentiment refers to the legal ownership/use of sporting/target guns (one good reason for avoiding the term, 'weapons' which many are silly enough to use), then in my experience the feelings of the vast majority vary between no concern and couldn't care less.

Talk to most people who have no experience of firearms, and you will usually get a negative opinion on ownership.

They seem unable to differentiate between legal and illegal usage.

'Your dad has a gun !!!' is the usual shocked reply when my daughters invite their friends to come to a clay ground, or to the range.

Some parents flatly refuse to let them go 'because its dangerous'

And yes ,we need to stop referring to them as weapons, it doesnt help at all.

I may be wrong but can someone name a piece of firearms legislation that has been directly influenced by a shooting organisation, I can't think of one. Sure they are good as a platform for shooters to collectively voice their opinions but I still don't see any evidence of real influence (I am a BASC member btw). Unfortunately we don't have a movement like the NRA in the USA which has real political and legislative influence.

Oh, and I agree 100% that we can't be complacent I just don't think depending on the shooting organisations to represent us is entirely effective..

Edited by Wingman

Maybe so ,but its certainly a central point for organisation.

MPs and shooting orgs are nothing without votes, and members/subscriptions.....

Talk to most people who have no experience of firearms, and you will usually get a negative opinion on ownership.

They seem unable to differentiate between legal and illegal usage.

'Your dad has a gun !!!' is the usual shocked reply when my daughters invite their friends to come to a clay ground, or to the range.

Some parents flatly refuse to let them go 'because its dangerous'

And yes ,we need to stop referring to them as weapons, it doesnt help at all.

If you're right - and we'll have to agree to differ because it's not my experience - that IS worrying. It's probably fair to say that the first quoted line will mean 'most people', period. This in turn means they have no conception of right and wrong - and they still get to vote.

If you're right - and we'll have to agree to differ because it's not my experience - that IS worrying. It's probably fair to say that the first quoted line will mean 'most people', period. This in turn means they have no conception of right and wrong - and they still get to vote.

Im sure Im not alone here, but Ive spoken to a lot of people who believe that anything other (firearms wise ) than a shotgun is illegal in this country.

I had one bloke (a clay and game shooter of 20 years experience) declare my semi auto .22lr (an assault style) to be illegal !

A police officer declare that long barrelled pistols are 'technically' illegal.

This sort of ignorance, and negative bias from the media, is where much of this comes from.

Its the tying in of guns being used in criminal acts, by criminals, that tars anyone who uses a gun legitimately ,for sporting use, with the same brush.

Guns kill people- so guns are bad mentality.

And the shooting organisations do try to combat this.

My experience is the same as yours. In all honesty I cannot think of a single instance where I have had a notably negative reaction to me being a gun owner.

The clay ground nearest to me, Cluny Clays, is now a multi activity centre with clays, golf, air rifles, archery, cricket, segways and a big outdoor play adventure park for kids. In the school holidays it is rammed full of parents and kids and nobody bats an eyelid at the sound of gun fire or folks in the car park with shotguns, etc.

Like you I think the vast majority of people are entirely ambivalent about legal gun use, I believe in the main they think that legislation is such that the people who have guns have been checked out so there is no concern.

My experience is the same as yours. In all honesty I cannot think of a single instance where I have had a notably negative reaction to me being a gun owner.

The clay ground nearest to me, Cluny Clays, is now a multi activity centre with clays, golf, air rifles, archery, cricket, segways and a big outdoor play adventure park for kids. In the school holidays it is rammed full of parents and kids and nobody bats an eyelid at the sound of gun fire or folks in the car park with shotguns, etc.

Like you I think the vast majority of people are entirely ambivalent about legal gun use, I believe in the main they think that legislation is such that the people who have guns have been checked out so there is no concern.

I just have - my main client this afternoon asked me for a couple of lines about what I like to do out for work to be included in a team bio for bidding for work. I said I went shooting and spent time with my young family. I got a call back later saying they had changed shooting to 'outdoor pursuits' as they didn't think they should mention shooting :hmm:

When face-to-face, I find most non-shooters are politely indifferent, surprised, curious, guarded but rarely overtly positive. A few are outright negative, particularly where shooting live quarry are concerned.

However, face-to-face is not a reliable indicator of a person's true attitude, as people will usually opt for a non -confrontational position. On social media and in the mainstream media the attitude is generally negative with respect to firearm use and ownership.

I live in a rural location but most town and city dwelling friends and family are skewed more toward the "anti" gun ownership stance than pro.

This is probably not surprising given that no media outlet has ever reported "a happy, well-adjusted, mentally stable bloke enjoyed a day's shooting with friends and went home, securing his firearms on arrival".

They are, they would also be ambivalent if the government banned all firearms tomorrow.

A police officer declare that long barrelled pistols are 'technically' illegal.

He got that the wrong aground, they are technically legal.

Edited by ordnance

To me there are too many shooting organisations that are only interested in their own discipline and if it does not bother them they are not interested , Hungerford was a prime example we should all be under one roof the stronger we are the better we are always remember united we stand divided we fall.

Feltwad

They are, they would also be ambivalent if the government banned all firearms tomorrow.

That is a good point and one that I think is rather depressingly accurate. Having said that I genuinely don't believe that there is the degree of anti gun ownership that some of the comments on this forum would have us believe.

I think there is a stronger feeling about game shooting, although not excessively, and that is because there is an emotive agenda behind that peddled by the likes of Packham, although I suspect that is more to do with a perceived class based agenda than anything else.

It was indeed suggested prior to the handgun ban, but when the practicalities are considered it was soon dropped as serious outcome.

I think were getting a bit carried away here; the logistics and costs would simply render the entire idea ridiculous in my opinion.

Thousands of game shots all queuing up for their shotguns six days a week throughout the entire shooting season? Really?

Not to mention all taking them back afterwards ..halfway through the day all the guns pack up to get there guns back in time ..

That is in reference to illegal weapons like flick knives etc which are currently legal to keep at home despite being illegal generally it's nothing to do with legal firearms.

Well lets hope so :good: its enough hassle getting a licence renewed every five years,imagine the hassle of police holding guns/firearms would cause, not to mention the way they would be handled :no: more than a few cabinet marks then :whistling:

I would be very very surprised if this ever happened,due to the logistics involved its a non starter in my opinion :yes:

receipt/issue = more staff = money

large secure gun rooms = money

extra training = money

Edited by Bluebarrels