DIY re-browning, preserving details?

buze

I've got a project gun I'd like to re-brown. So I'm not totally clueless on the process, but I've been wondering on how to make sure details and engraving are preserved when polishing...

Also, the rib is 'curled' (ie, textured) -- how do you polish THAT without flattening it too much?

FIY, the gun is not worth having done professionally, so I can definitely have a go at it...

• 1 month later...

I've proceeded with that project BTW. I eventually used a wire wheel to strip the engraving (gently, with a electric screw driver) and it came out all clean and sparkly very easily. I did the rest of the flat surfaces with sandpaper. I ended up with a nice surface (apart from the off 100 years old dings!).

I'm using ferric oxide solution+isopropanol alcohol so it dries quicker, and coat the barrels, let it dry, 'wash' any deposit with a barely wet sponge, and coat again. Every 2 or 3 coating I let it dry fully and use 0000 steel wool to smooth the finish.

Been doing that a few times, and plenty of places now look a nice deep chocolate, but it's not yet evenly smooth -- so I think I need to go over the hue I want, then smooth is all back to the same...

So far it's been fun, if the barrels comes out as good as what I see starting to pop out, it's going to look really awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Wingman I *did* 'finish' this project, for now, I didn't get the depth of colour I wanted, but it's because I ran out of patience and wanted to shoot the gun -- the color picks up quickly to start with, then it takes forever to get more contrast :-)

With a light coat of oil it still looks pretty good tho, but I know I need to revisit it, remove the oil and ejector, and treat it again a few times...

I'll try to take pics tomorrow, weather permitting.