Help with animal identification

DrBlox

I cannot see why they feel the need to reintroduce these birds and mammals back into our countryside, I think other birds and mammals that have evolved without them for so long will suffer.

Pine Marten have been seen and filmed in south west Shropshire over the last 2 or 3 years.

Edited by old'un

It wouldn't be so bad if re-introductions were done with a suitable management policy in place, but the latter doesn't happen. So here we have another apex predator being re-introduced with no direct means of control. Say bye-bye to more ground nesting birds. The only good thing about martins is that they are rather adept at catching, killing and eating squirrels. So if you are plagued with greys, say bye-bye to them too.

Smaller than a rat then definitely a weasel, they don't have a black tip on tail, are good climbers and in the normal view of one, you wouldn't see the belly.

Fair enough (it wasn't particularly big). Any way I can make my home/garden/shed more weasel friendly? I was told that their main prey would be baby/young rats and greys in nests (sand starlings - although I've seen some of the resident magpies despatch a far few but they have a nasty habit of tearing my plants up to hide the corpses before eating their breasts).

Edited by DrBlox

Fair enough (it wasn't particularly big). Any way I can make my home/garden/shed more weasel friendly? I was told that their main prey would be baby/young rats and greys in nests (sand starlings - although I've seen some of the resident magpies despatch a far few but they have a nasty habit of tearing my plants up to hide the corpses before eating their breasts).

They will eat anything really, I would imagine the largest part of their diet would be mice. If there is food they will stay.

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, Richard Muirhead said:

Hi Mice that is very interesting what you said about a pine marten near Warrington. Did you ever take any photos of it?

Richard Muirhead

Hi Richard, no not that i remember, we were probably on the A574 between Culcheth and Risley, think we had come over the M62, Don't know if my dad spotted it or me? 

how i remember I have no idea, probably because it was unusual, i get slatted for not remembering family stuff but nature has always fascinated me, quite a few things got buried over the years in our garden.

Now a days i would have lots of pictures and a thread running on it.