Mixed results

Clodhopper

Had a look at my Bean stubble on Sunday and it was blue over with pigeons, on the ground and feeding. So I got there around 08.30 Monday morning to be met by thick fog which did not clear until gone 10am. Spray man then turned up to round up the field. Wind was blowing well and i hoped the birds would return to feed in the afternoon. They never materialised and i gave it up as a bad job at 2pm as there was hardly a bird in the sky. I took a young lad from the village with me as he is keen on pigeon shooting but has limited permission, hoping to get him a shot or two but is was not to be.

At lunchtime today Giles rang to say there were quite a lot of pigeons on a field of wheat drilling on the other side of the valley to the Beans. Would i be interested in joining him?

A few hastily made phone calls to arrange child care after school and we were out by 2.30pm. 1 flapper 1 magnet and 11 FUDS made the pattern. Wind on our back and sat against an embankment. The birds decoyed immediately, Giles and i taking 3 out of the first group to decoy. This carried on for 2 hours, we took turns to shoot first, the other taking anything left in range.

Giles shot exceptionally well, i don't think he missed all afternoon. I had taken the over and under out instead of the auto as i have a few game days coming up and i need a bit of practice with it. Needless to say i did not match my companion but was pleased with how i shot.

We had 2 hours shooting but we could see the birds heading off to the roost wood by 4.30pm and i had to go relieve the baby sitter.

We picked 31 birds between us in those 2 hours which by some standards is not many but it was enjoyable and made up for the blank on the previous day.

Its strange isn't it some fields with lots of exposed seed are untouched whilst others attract a lot of attention. I think that pigeons seem to like some fields more than others but I do not have an ounce of evidence to back this up and cannot think why this would be the case.

I have noticed more on winter drillings this year than in previous but that may well be the fact that i am actively looking more. As previously stated, they only feed for a day or 2 then move on. We have a mixture of direct drilling and conventional, direct drilling attracts very little attention due to the seed getting buried more efficiently.