Lefty’s needed

Tford

Hi,

Im looking at a new rifle in either .243 or 6.5x55. Ive always had right bolt but ambidextrous stock, as Im a left handed shooter (I have a useless right eye!). Anyway in buying a new rifle Im thinking I should really go for a full left hander but struggling to find anything taking my fancy.

I know there are Sako 85 hunter which is so far top of the list, and tikka t3 which isnt. Ive been looking at the Mauser M12 impact or m12 max too, but annoyingly there appears to be no left handed version of the m12s.

Anyway... I suppose the question is what other decent off the shelf left hand rifle makes/models are out there without going over the top (i.e sako prices)?

Ta

Tf223

Remington 700 CDL.......Browning X Bolt ...............Weatherby Mk V.............Although why you don't like the T3 Hunter I don't know :hmm:

I think its the t3 lite that put me off... always felt flimsy with its lightweight stock which sounded hollow.. plus maybe the obvious option so thats why Im avoiding it... I dunno. As a rifle its probably/definitely more capable than I am, but just doesnt take my fancy...

I'm a lefty and just got for a tikka t3 lite left handed in 243 . The stock is fine and if you really want you can swap it out for an after market later. I think the main thing is that the action is good, with a good trigger and good accuracy.

Looked at everything else myself , the only thing cheaper is the ruger American but for the price difference to the t3' the t3 is worth the extra.

Browning aren't doing left hand versions of the X bolt until December now but even then the trigger is still a tad on the heavy side .

I know what you mean about the tikka but when you add it all up they are great value for money and you won't be left wanting .

If I had the money I would of gone for a blazer r8 but sadly I do not.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not which side that the bolt is, as most shots are took from a steady support which allows easy manipulation of the bolt with the right hand.

But I do look for rifles with a tang safety or left bolt and safety, as I find that I have to break my concentration to operate a safety that is on the right hand side

Just purchased a lefty Remington 700 SPS Varmint , still sat in the shop awaiting my variation to come through.

Of all my rifles, only one other is a lefty (17hmr) and it doesn’t really bother me, but this time I thought why not- sold my A-bolt for it.

My decision was based on the availability of after market parts/stocks etc as I’m a bit of a tinkerer

Good luck in your search

I had an SPS and despite what people say about Remingtons it was extremely accurate. Chopped the 26" barrel down to 20" and it shot amazingly

Heres hoping, good thing about the 700 is so many people offer aftermarket accessories and barrel replacement that its true in this instance that you really can polish a t u r d

Edit as it wouldnt accept the polite word for excrement

Edited by Jaymo

Being a lefty has never been an issue...

Unless you are shooting targets with a sling where your right arm is locked up operating a right handed bolt can actually seen more natural.

From a bipod it keeps your left hand stable on the trigger... with the benefit of not really breaking your position...

I currently have a lefty hmr and it always seems weird and more difficult to see into the breech

A long time ago I shot .22 target and the club had a rifle converted for leftys with a welded steel cocking handle extension which looped over the top of the rifle.... inelegant but functional

As for SA80.... just had to learn to shoot off the wrong shoulder....

I would in future go with a right handed... easier resale and once the bolt is closed theyre all basically the same