Wild Boar Opportunities Exmoor

17 Boar need to be shot before the end of December in Exmoor!

Boar weights approx. 65kgs - 80kgs of those previously shot this year!

£34.99 to book
£75 to the keeper on the night
£2.75 a pound to keep the animal
MUST be booked before end of November for Christmas 2017

http://www.a1decoy.co.uk/wild-boar-trip-in-forest-of-dean--exmoor-2076-p.asp

(Posted from my personal account accidentally!)

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

What's the caliber needed to shoot the boar?

Lowest calibre is 270

Potentially £500-£600? No thanks!

Depends how much meat you'd like to keep, it will cost £110 to shoot the boar and then on top you pay for the meat (if you wanted to keep any) so the top price of £500/600 would be shooting a 80kg boar and keeping the entire beast.

Edited by A1Decoy

Lowest calibre is 270

Depends how much meat you'd like to keep, it will cost £110 to shoot the boar and then on top you pay for the meat (if you wanted to keep any) so the top price of £500/600 would be shooting a 80kg boar and keeping the entire beast.

Please do not take this the wrong way and I'm not knocking it especially as your a business to make money and also get people into shooting but a few people like myself shoot for the animal itself to put in the freezer. I get enough money saved to do maybe 2 stalks a year however I wouldn't be able to justify 600 notes for a boar and I'd prefer to keep the beast whole otherwise there wouldn't be much point in shooting it! To me that is. Why is the cost of the meat so high considering there a pest animal?

Please do not take this the wrong way and I'm not knocking it especially as your a business to make money and also get people into shooting but a few people like myself shoot for the animal itself to put in the freezer. I get enough money saved to do maybe 2 stalks a year however I wouldn't be able to justify 600 notes for a boar and I'd prefer to keep the beast whole otherwise there wouldn't be much point in shooting it! To me that is. Why is the cost of the meat so high considering there a pest animal?

+1

I know we are all different, but I can't see why would you want to take a whole pig home?

Would be an epic bbq! I'd take the whole animal as I don't like wastage. Myself, family and friends including bits for the dogs. It would go in the freezer. Same as deer, if friends/family want any there welcome to take some. I only shoot what I need unless it pest control and I've been asked to shoot x many rabbit's for example.

...... and how much if you fail to see one?

Just seems overpriced to me as well.

My old man delivers sugar down that way and talking to the locals the problems bad. I know a couple of them have said If they find any poachers they would be happy to pay for there ammo :lol: after seeing the mess of some of there land I can believe it

Would be an epic bbq! I'd take the whole animal as I don't like wastage. Myself, family and friends including bits for the dogs. It would go in the freezer. Same as deer, if friends/family want any there welcome to take some. I only shoot what I need unless it pest control and I've been asked to shoot x many rabbit's for example.

The thing is though that will be the price the game dealer is offering for the meat, so it wouldn't be wasted. It's exactly the same with deer stalking. If you want some venison to take, you can pay for it at the prevailing rate. Plenty would go pheasant shooting and just take a brace or two. The value is the experience and the opportunity to shoot a boar in the UK - and there are not a great deal of places you can do that at the present time.

As Dunkield says factor in the fact you don't have to book a plane and can use your own rifle, without the faff of having to take one abroad, for someone this would be a great deal, and I'm sure they will get takers :good:

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2017 at 13:31, Archie-fox said:

And making stacks of cash for it as well..

Only making £35 for a1 decoy and £75 for the keeper by the look of it....

The keeper could potentially just nip out and blast all 17 then drop them off at the game dealer for his £2.75 a pound, losing only £1275 in income over letting out the shooting but freeing 17 nights work which he may or may not be able to replace with other work.

The above assumes £2.75 a pound is the genuine game dealer rate, given boar from the game dealer at home is less than double that I suspect there may be a bit of mark up on the meat, but even so if a representative shooter takes one boar, buys his petrol and then lifts a 20ld leg he does his night for around £200-250 all in assuming no more than a tank of petrol. This would seem cheaper than an equivalent deer stalk. 

Everybody has to make a shilling or two, so you pays your money and takes your chance. I think I would like the carcase complete as some good eating in a 60kg pig.

Slightly off at a tangent... overseas shoots has been mentioned and I have a lot of experience hunting in Slovenia and found it very reasonably priced if you kept away from shooting medals. 

A quick check on likely cost for a three hunting day visit, flying out from Stansted with easyjet, full board, guide and two cull wild boar or red deer per day(six total) would work out around £750 to £800.  Add to this taking your own rifle £60 and a hire car for three days  £90.  Sharing the car would make that cheaper of course.

The area is stunning, with a really good chance of seeing a European brown bear. The guiding is very professional and I have found Slovenians some of the friendliest folk I have met.

I have some excellent contacts for both the hunting and fishing to die for. I have no monetary interest whatsoever, but just happy to pass the details on.

I have found that taking a rifle with easyjet to be one of the less hassle experiences at any airport other than maybe Birmingham BHX. OK you need to fill forms and have the rifle checked but it is never a big deal. The usual box ticking at both ends but not onerous.

I take it all the people mentioning excessive costs know how much deer stalking costs in this country?

Walker I have shot boar in Croatia and fished the Kupa on the Slovenian border, sometimes on the same trip. So I would be interested in more details just for options for potential future trips.