Country Gent Embarrasses all Shooters

FairImogen

Guest cookoff013

"Giles was permitted to have 600 shotgun cartridges but police counted 1,178. He was allowed to have 75 rounds of rifle ammunition but had 126. Some of the ammunition was in his shed and car rather than in the cabinets."

is there a limit of shotgun cartridges?

I read the article - it is my local paper - don't understand "he was permitted to have 600 shotgun cartridges but police counted 1,178." I wasn't aware that the number of shotgun cartridges was ever limited?

EDIT - Duplicate of post above - we posted at the same time!

Edited by JohnfromUK

The only legal limit on the number of shotgun cartridges you can be in possession of is governed by the explosives regulations. I equates to about 10,000 cartridges.

Vic.

That stacks up - it would be out of character for a local rag to allow the truth to interfere with a good story

The only legal limit on the number of shotgun cartridges you can be in possession of is governed by the explosives regulations. I equates to about 10,000 cartridges.

Vic.

I hope so. I have no idea how many I have in my shed. I buy a few slabs at the start of each season and forget about the ones I have left over from the last!

It's surprising how personal stock can build up especially when you hold different gauges.

Is it stated in the regs / police guidance how many you can hold? Or is it do with with the amount of powder contained within the cartridges?

I have in excess of 5000 between 12ga and 20ga with varying loads and most lead, but a lot nonlead.

Whether its a law, or a good practice/recommendation I am not sure , I have never been able to find official documented proof.

There is a lot of logic about it being a requirement linked to explosives legislation, but I have never seen it.

The fact there are no laws about the storage of shotgun cartridges also suprises me, I can't really see why FAC ammunition is treated so differently.

Vic is bang on. My bro in law is HSE explosives inspector and has confirmed this some time ago. It equates to approx 10'000 cartridges and is a HSE regulation not a firearms regulation. And before anyone asks, yes it has been known for folk to be prosecuted for storing more than this without appropriate licence to store.

Explosive licensing talks about the total amount of explosive material stored in any single location though. So theoretically if you split your cartridges between garage/shed and house then you could hold more, you could hold 20,000 as each location is within the constraints of the HSE legislation.

Explosive licensing talks about the total amount of explosive material stored in any single location though. So theoretically if you split your cartridges between garage/shed and house then you could hold more, you could hold 20,000 as each location is within the constraints of the HSE legislation.

Thats ok then. Ive probably got that many spread across shed, garage, coat pockets, rattling around Defender etc.

I found some in the bottom of my laptop bag the other day, pleased I discovered they were there before going through the airport.

Been there done that. Found some in pockets as I was in queue for security. Had to quickly deposit them in the bins that they have for liquids.

I have in excess of 5000 between 12ga and 20ga with varying loads and most lead, but a lot nonlead.

Whether its a law, or a good practice/recommendation I am not sure , I have never been able to find official documented proof.

There is a lot of logic about it being a requirement linked to explosives legislation, but I have never seen it.

The fact there are no laws about the storage of shotgun cartridges also suprises me, I can't really see why FAC ammunition is treated so differently.

The relevant act on ammunition storage is The Explosives Regulations 2014. This details how much you can store before an Explosives Licence is required. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1638/regulation/7/made

With respect this is incorrect. No person shall store more than 10kg regardless of how you split it.