Fordson super major restoration

viking

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit of fettling to do on the tinwork....tow bar is bent.....ploughlight is missing...bonnet catches...........nuthin' major...(see what i did then?).........

keep a look out for a power steering ram......it all adds value if you get it at the right price...and look out for a Ransomes TS 82 reversible plough...sometimes they go for scrap money..

get it in the garage and strip all the tinwork off and gett know it...............

ON YER MARKS................................................

lift your arms up...then lock off by pulling the black knob fully out under the seat......thats the services spool valve...to you :lol:

Edited by ditchman

...then lock off by pulling the black knob fully out under the seat......

Would that be the black plastic component in which the threads were always becoming stripped on one farm where we had two Majors and two Dexters? Drivers would utter the well-known phrase “It came off in my hand”, and swear loudly as they tried to grip and pull on a half-inch length of tiny threaded rod in order to operate the valve – not unduly difficult on a warm summer day, but bloody awkward in winter when your fingers were frozen.

Looks good already :)

it does look ok, probably better in the pictures, but for me at the time being its just enough work to do to it without taking over my life like my series 3 did :good::good:

Don't know if this helps with the registration of your new project....http://www.fordandfordson.co.uk/tractor_registration.html

thanks, ill have a look at that in a bit, think i came across that a couple of days ago but needed engine number :good:

bit of fettling to do on the tinwork....tow bar is bent.....ploughlight is missing...bonnet catches...........nuthin' major...(see what i did then?).........

keep a look out for a power steering ram......it all adds value if you get it at the right price...and look out for a Ransomes TS 82 reversible plough...sometimes they go for scrap money..

get it in the garage and strip all the tinwork off and gett know it...............

ON YER MARKS................................................

lift your arms up...then lock off by pulling the black knob fully out under the seat......thats the services spool valve...to you :lol:

its in the garage now, will get to work on it at the weekend, iv a few more photos to add :good::good:

something i have to admit to you all, i had no idea that the throttle was on the side of the steering wheel :lol::lol::lol: though it would be just like a car :oops::oops:

when the bloke got here with it on the trailer it was fun and games getting it off, got it in reverse and got it on the drive, but when he had gone i moved a few things around in the garage to get it in, so i went out of one gate, on the road and into the other, no idea what gear i was in but it was off like a stabbed rat on half throttle, brought a rite smile to my face even thought i only drove it for 30 seconds, i cant wait to get it done and registered so i can take it out, will have to be somewhere out of the way to start till i learn how to drive it properly, to change gear would you drop the revs, clutch in, change gear then back on the revs :hmm::hmm:

something i have to admit to you all, i had no idea that the throttle was on the side of the steering wheel :lol::lol::lol: though it would be just like a car :oops::oops:

when the bloke got here with it on the trailer it was fun and games getting it off, got it in reverse and got it on the drive, but when he had gone i moved a few things around in the garage to get it in, so i went out of one gate, on the road and into the other, no idea what gear i was in but it was off like a stabbed rat on half throttle, brought a rite smile to my face even thought i only drove it for 30 seconds, i cant wait to get it done and registered so i can take it out, will have to be somewhere out of the way to start till i learn how to drive it properly, to change gear would you drop the revs, clutch in, change gear then back on the revs :hmm::hmm:

changing gear was a trile.. :lol: ok going into top... that seat ,,...is it original or is it off a 5000 or county ? looks a bit strange

changing gear was a trile.. :lol: ok going into top... that seat ,,...is it original or is it off a 5000 or county ? looks a bit strange

Don't think the seat is original it looks far too modern.Probably far more comfortable though.For road work with no heavy load we used to set off in top gear.

Hmmmm yes the seat doesn't fit somehow from memory. It is a nice specimen to start on though. Is it the angle of the photo or is the tracking a bit out. The offside wheel just seems to be a bit out of line with the near. Keep those front wheel bearings well greased as the water gets in there ...well used to on the old Majors anyway.

think its just the photo, and the wheels were probably turned a bit to, no i dont think the seat is original, not at all, looks like its off the latter 1000 series or one of the 000 series, that is on my list, love a good list :lol::lol:

my mate got me some reading material and dropped it off earlier :good::good:

post-9513-0-59027600-1508435073_thumb.jpg

eerrrrr...................just my thoughts..............that tractor wouldnt have been sold with an "off-set towbar".............take it off ...keep it take the bends out of it...make it nice......

then put the standard straight tow-bar on it

that off-set tow bar has had tooo much weight on it.....it was only for towing balers and mowers and such like......... :hmm:

PS it is missing its tool box..........

Edited by ditchman

Good stuff Viking, thanks for sharing.

my pleasure :good:

eerrrrr...................just my thoughts..............that tractor wouldnt have been sold with an "off-set towbar".............take it off ...keep it take the bends out of it...make it nice......

then put the standard straight tow-bar on it

that off-set tow bar has had tooo much weight on it.....it was only for towing balers and mowers and such like......... :hmm:

PS it is missing its tool box..........

simon, your mistaking me for someone who knows, i didnt even know how to start it 3 hours ago :lol::lol: i dont know what an offset towbar is, what does a standard one look like, and iv seen loads of tractors with tool boxes so im guessing its missing,i will locate one though, to keep my backy in :lol::lol:

trust us ...........................there are loads of boys on here who have driven and worked these tractors for a living....so they know what they are talking about........

this is about the best project you could have chosen

you will have all the advice you will ever need on here to get that beast mint....... :good: ............aaannndddd..........proper original :yahoo:

i trust you all, one thing i was just looking at some pictures of one all done up and it had some rear red lights, do i take it these are brake lights, and the obvious lights in the front, then some other little lights of the wheel arches/fenders that faced forward, found a set on ebay

post-9513-0-04156000-1508438054_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-68918400-1508438072_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-43165900-1508438104_thumb.jpg