Fordson super major restoration

viking

When I first started in the farm workshop we still ran 7 assorted majors. We kept an engine in the workshop as a spare and just swapped it over when the boys blew one up. That happened fairly often with majors and power majors as they used to remove the air intake pipe so they hit nearly 30 mph. God knows what rpm the engines were doing.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started in the farm workshop we still ran 7 assorted majors. We kept an engine in the workshop as a spare and just swapped it over when the boys blew one up. That happened fairly often with majors and power majors as they used to remove the air intake pipe so they hit nearly 30 mph. God knows what rpm the engines were doing.

need to avoid that happening then :yes:

been looking at it...i think a sand blast prime and respray is on the cards...................lee............you can respray that you are good enough now .............

its been oversprayed...the controls and buttons have been sprayed as well............

think the bulk of the works is in your hyands...........cleaning and spraying..

been looking at it...i think a sand blast prime and respray is on the cards...................lee............you can respray that you are good enough now .............

its been oversprayed...the controls and buttons have been sprayed as well............

think the bulk of the works is in your hyands...........cleaning and spraying..

once stripped, how the hell would i get such a huge chunk of metal anywhere to get it blasted, thats my thought :hmm:

but sounds a good idea rather than a blow over

The one at the rear would more than likely have been used to tip a trailer or operate the valve on a slurry tanker both would be controlled by the quadrant

i see :good::good: whats the quadrant

once stripped, how the hell would i get such a huge chunk of metal anywhere to get it blasted, thats my thought :hmm:

but sounds a good idea rather than a blow over

i see :good::good: whats the quadrant

might be for a reverserble plough...........

when you are sitting on the seat and reach down to your right you will feel a lever attatched to a semi-circular guide ...that is your "quadrant"...think it is termed "position control lever"

you can hire someone to come and do the sand blast............

Edited by ditchman

might be for a reverserble plough...........

when you are sitting on the seat and reach down to your right you will feel a lever attatched to a semi-circular guide ...that is your "quadrant"...think it is termed "position control lever"

you can hire someone to come and do the sand blast............

im lost already, one thing at once please :lol:

i did drive a tractor for a few months when i worked on the mew bypass in our village 20 years ago, i used it to tow the diesel bowser to fill all the 360's up and then in the summer i something like a spreader water bowser thing that sprayed water along the haul road to keep the dust down as it was used all day ny the terex's and volvo bm's, so iv used the pto and what not

Could operate a reversible plough and in theory many more tools.I was just thinking of a couple of simple ones.we haven't started on the pto yet.This restoration could expand into implements couldn't it.

im begging him to buy a 2 furrow reversable Ransomes TS 82 plough.....one was sold down here last week for £316 quid..!..it would look thye dogs danglies with that all sprayed and done up on the back of the major.. :good::good:

I'm so glad you're back restoring something Viking. Loved your land rover thread and I'm looking forward to this one!

cheers labstaff, i cant see this taking as long as the land rover, but if ditchie has his way it will, he has me down for buying alsorts, everything but the farm, ill end up in the village park ploughing it, then when im done there he will have me over the road at the cricket field discing that :lol::lol::lol::yahoo::yahoo:

im begging him to buy a 2 furrow reversable Ransomes TS 82 plough.....one was sold down here last week for £316 quid..!..it would look thye dogs danglies with that all sprayed and done up on the back of the major.. :good::good:

hows this old boy

post-9513-0-83595000-1508450795_thumb.jpg