Red's day out

red_stag88

Hi all,

Once a Term we have Activites day, which is as it sounds. We do what we do on a Thursday afternoon for a whole day. For the majoritory it is CCF type stuff and granny bashing, all day. However for the select few who are able to hit a few clay pigeons get carted off for a day. So at 9am today, I popped my skeet jacket, barbour and hunters (many giggles from the urban shooting types) in the bus and we set off for Sporting targets - Risley - Bedford.

I donned my wellies to trapse around the muddy paths (i was the giggler now as many a posh shoe was ruined) I shot a variety of stands, from the Browning High Tower Chalange (120ft tower :lol: ) to a driven grouse simulation, I even tried my hand a skeet. My favorite stand was a tower of about 20ft, in which you stood 15 ft high on a platform, a clay would launch from below and one from above, easy but fun. However due to shooting 200 rounds through a poorly fitting gun, my shoulder is a rather remarkable coulour :lol:

There were a total of 20 shooting, seperated into 3 groups. Each group managed to shoot through 1000 clays :lol:

As I sat eating my pub lunchon, I mused at what the poor creatures doing assult courses and showing 8 yr olds around the school were fealing :lol:

Hi Red,

Sounds like you had a good day at Sporting Targets.

I've shot their a few times, the high tower is very demanding !

Last time I was there they had a team shoot where we shot ribbons off

radio controlled model aeroplanes ! They were flown from the other side of the

high bank at the top of the shooting ground. Great fun shooting the ribbons off, but even more fun when you managed to hit the fuel line or the aerolone wires

and the plane did a nose dive into the skeet tower !

Red

You are certainly priviliged, I am very envyous. When I went to school we were lucky if we went on a coach trip, and that was once a year.

Now that youve had some time to improve your shooting; I wonder if your school is going to concentrate a little more on your spelling and maths?

webber

The mini and midi arent easy, if you shoot them straight out the trap.

One thing i have noticed is that all they clay shots wait for the last moment, till the clay is too easy, all the game shots hit it quick!

Take G for example, the driven bird right in front of you. If you wait for a minute, it stops about 6 ft abouve you. Easy no? However I being a game shot was killing all of them straigt out the trap, and found it just as easy. Why are the clay people taught to hang about, and wait till the last possible moment?

Well, the thing about clay shooting is that you want to maximise your score.

You basically do this by hitting all the **** easy ones. that usually means doing it when you hve to make little movement as this minimises any mistakes. I still shoot all the tower birds a, b, c as soon as i can. Try B and the batteau fom by the gate and beyond.