Gas safe cert?

chady

I cannot answer your question, but this is from Google:

The landlord’s gas safety check is required by law on all rental properties in the UK.

The landlords gas safety certificate also known as a CP12 must include all pipework and gas appliances that the landlord provides and MUST be performed by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

The engineer will check the following before issuing a pass/fail certificate:

1. Check appliance for gas tightness.
  2. Check standing and working pressure if test points available.
  3. Check burner pressure / gas rate against manufacturers data plate.
  4. Check for satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation.
  5. Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion.
  6. Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure devices.
  7. Check for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets (where appropriate).
  8. Investigate any evidence of unsafe operation and report to a responsible person. An appliance can not be deemed as having been checked, until the above has been completed.
  9. For a Landlords Safety Record inspection a tightness test of the full system should be added to the above.
What information does the Landlords Gas Safety record contain?

As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:

1. A description and location of each appliance and/or flue checked
  2. The name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check
  3. The date on which the appliance and/or flue was checked
  4. The address of the property at which the appliance and/or flue is installed
  5. The name and address of the landlord (or his agent where appropriate)
  6. A list of any defect identified and any action required or taken to fix it
  7. A confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.

I would always have (and do in my own house) a CO alarm if there is any risk/doubt. They are not expensive and would warn of any flue deficiency leading to combustion residue gas build up.

Good evening all

I have just moved into a new house.

I have had a gas safe cert for the boiler.

But not one for the gas job?

I questioned this and was told only items with a flue needs a cert?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Incorrect

Every gas appliance should be listed on certificate

BG are good at issuing certificates for only the boiler and omitting hob/fire etc

Thanks

I have bought and it is off a national house builder!

Im sure you do but before I kick off want to 100% get my facts right!

Dont want to miss a loop hole and make my self look an idiot

Thanks

I think you have a completion certificate, which is the certificate to say that the boiler has been installed by a competent person. Hobs do not require a certificate, so unless you have a fire the boiler is probably the only thing requiring a certificate.

Edited by Tim Kelly

Incorrect

Every gas appliance should be listed on certificate

BG are good at issuing certificates for only the boiler and omitting hob/fire etc

Actually it is the landlords responsibility to request each and every appliance to check. I am sure you would be up in arms if BG started added extra appliances you hadn't requested to test and then billed you for them without permission.

Actually it is the landlords responsibility to request each and every appliance to check. I am sure you would be up in arms if BG started added extra appliances you hadn't requested to test and then billed you for them without permission.

For a Landlords certificate? Why would a landlord want a certificate for half the gas appliances? The idea is that they've had all their gas appliances and the pipework and the meter checked by a competent person, so they've done everything reasonable to protect their tenants. If you only get half of them checked you haven't achieved the aim of the certificate. and you would be liable for any accidents with the gas that your negligence didn't protect the tenants from.

Edited by Tim Kelly

For a Landlords certificate? Why would a landlord want a certificate for half the gas appliances? The idea is that they've had all their gas appliances and the pipework and the meter checked by a competent person, so they've done everything reasonable to protect their tenants. If you only get half of them checked you haven't achieved the aim of the certificate. and you would be liable for any accidents with the gas that your negligence didn't protect the tenants from.

Agree with this. The landlord is the one ultimately responsible.

Trouble with gas regs and BS is that they are constantly changing.

The landlord is responsible for appliances which the tenant cannot legally remove.

This often excludes the cooker. Good practice would require a visual inspection of a cooking appliance owned by a tenant, nothing more.

The original poster is referring to a building regulation notification and not a landlords gas safety inspection certificate.

Edited by Pumpkin

I'm a letting agent, at our firm we ensure that ALL appliances are tested prior to someone moving in or tested within 12 months of the last issued certificate and its also a legal requirement to have a CO detector in a rental property.

I was told this by my letting agent but it's not true. A co2 detector only has to be fitted where there is a solid fuel appliance.(I fit them anyway)

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/carbon-monoxide-requirements.shtml

The gas has be tested and boiler serviced every 12 month .you get a copy of the certificate.the landlord has to put a co detector in by law .and smoke alarms .they are checked when the boiler is .the landlord has do a electrical test and you get a copy of that .they last 10yr .i now this as the daughter rents one out and has to have it done every year .all appliances that use gas have to be check every year .

Edited by Guest

Thanks

Thanks

You might get the "Echo" looked at too :)

The gas has be tested and boiler serviced every 12 month .you get a copy of the certificate.the landlord has to put a co detector in by law .and smoke alarms .they are checked when the boiler is .the landlord has do a electrical test and you get a copy of that .they last 10yr .i now this as the daughter rents one out and has to have it done every year .all appliances that use gas have to be check every year .

No law to say you have to service boiler

Landlord only HAS to put a CO alarm in if solid burning fuel so average house (boiler/Hob) there is no need

Landlords can still sign a disclaimer on the electrics, there is no law to say you must have one.

You're correct on the smoke alarms, must be one per floor (storey).

As has been said, technically this isn't correct. there's no specific legislation that requires a landlord to have an appliance serviced. However, there is a bit of a catch-all as far as the Helath & Safety Executive are concerned: Should an incident occur, and that incident can be attributed to a lack of service of an appliance, as the landlord still has a 'Duty of Care' towards their tenants, then they could still face prosecution. That's why your LLSC certs ask if the appliance was serviced during the inspection.

Does it have to be serviced? Technically - no.

Should it be serviced? Absolutely, and that is the advice that should be conveyed to landlords.

Edited by racing snake

If you look it up the boiler has to be serviced every year by for a rented house.

Don’t you service your boiler every year .if you the land lord does not service the boiler and it causes problems

You get the blame .

You have to do most things required to service most modern boilers when you do a landlords ticket anyway, so you might as well service it completely when you're doing it. Landlords who only want to pay £40 a ticket get the most basic report. Those are the landlords to avoid if you're a gas engineer or a tenant. I've weeded most of them out of my diary now.

Sorry but its not law for a landlord to have an electrical or PAT test. Many letting agents try to convince you that it is but it isn't. (unless the law has changed in the last two months. i had one try it on! After he did his research, I accepted his apologies) I am also not sure if it is law for smoke detectors?? Although we always fit them and new builds etc have to have them. Building regs want individual alarms in each flat and also a communal one, linking all flats and communal areas.

Could you please show me where it says, it is a legal requirement to have a boiler serviced every year.

You have to do most things required to service most modern boilers when you do a landlords ticket anyway, so you might as well service it completely when you're doing it. Landlords who only want to pay £40 a ticket get the most basic report. Those are the landlords to avoid if you're a gas engineer or a tenant. I've weeded most of them out of my diary now.

£40 a ticket??? Thats half price!

Edit: what would be the difference between a £40 basic report and a £80-£90 report? Surely a GSC is a GSC and the same things will be checked? If the £40 job is "missing" something that must be done, then surely it is not legal?

Edit2: So if the landlord wants value for money or offers you 100 flats to do, back to back, at £40 each, he is to be avoided??

Edited by silver pigeon69

I don't know what people do for £40, not very much I would guess. I doubt they'd take the cover off the boiler, just stick a probe in the flue and call it done. 100 flats at £40, no, I wouldn't, but plenty would. I charge 90 + vat as I think the responsibility you take as a Gas Safe bloke is too high for it to be valued at £40, but that's just me.