Not shooting just watching.

JDog

The first lurgy of the winter has affected me this week and I have felt pretty ropey and I have mostly been confined to barracks. This morning I had to turn Mightymariner down for an outing in this great wind.

At lunchtime I could bear it no more and Jasper and I set off for a ride round. There are still some standing beans and wheat but there was nothing on those fields. Only when I scanned through the binos did I see pigeons and they were hugging the shelter afforded by hedges and folds in the ground. They were feeding on chickweed. Another sheltered spot also revealed pigeons in numbers also on chickweed.

On to a field of bean stubble where Ginger Cat has permission. I scanned for at least thirty minutes before I saw a pigeon, then another, then twenty and so on. In ten minutes three hundred pigeons entered the field all in the full shelter of a thick hedge. GC was at work (oh really) but I thought a text would prompt him to respond and so it proved.

I learnt a lot about pigeon behaviour today without firing a shot.

Edited by JDog

nice little alternative write up................i was doing similar this morning on the way back from the shop....i saw the other farm shooter Shaun pulled over watching ...in "my" watching place............he said he was going to set up on the oak line for a couple of hours and shoot a few low very fast birds as they made their way over to sticky jims workshop.........

Get well soon JDog , useful report on how to spot pigeons in a wind. Some of the birds came in low against the wind yesterday and I could hardly pick up on them. Some of the others came with the wind and I had difficulty physically move that fast to be in front of them.

As you report they were using the hedge to shelter we had a valley in which they did the same. Get well and get out shooting.

What's wrong with you man!!!

I too have succumbed to the lerg, but still managed to haul myself up to the Wash, sloshing around in the marsh on a wild goose chase for two days.

Get well soon.

The first lurgy of the winter has affected me this week and I have felt pretty ropey and I have mostly been confined to barracks. This morning I had to turn Mightymariner down for an outing in this great wind.

At lunchtime I could bear it no more and Jasper and I set off for a ride round. There are still some standing beans and wheat but there was nothing on those fields. Only when I scanned through the binos did I see pigeons and they were hugging the shelter afforded by hedges and folds in the ground. They were feeding on chickweed. Another sheltered spot also revealed pigeons in numbers also on chickweed.

On to a field of bean stubble where Ginger Cat has permission. I scanned for at least thirty minutes before I saw a pigeon, then another, then twenty and so on. In ten minutes three hundred pigeons entered the field all in the full shelter of a thick hedge. GC was at work (oh really) but I thought a text would prompt him to respond and so it proved.

I learnt a lot about pigeon behaviour today without firing a shot.