Tweed suit cost?

Cawdor118

I'm looking to have a tweed suit made - breeks / plus 2's or 3's and a shooting waistcoat. Any idea of how much very roughly it would cost? Has anyone had anything similar made?

Yes, but many years ago by Haggarts in Aberfeldy. Had 2 prs breeks, shooting waistcoat, normal waistcoat, jacket with gusseted sleeves for shooting, cap and gore-tex lined shooting coat. Can't remember what it all cost, but its 20 years ago, so no longer relevant. Can still fit into them as well!

Haggarts are the best tweeds and an ex employee Crawford Campbell has saved the firm from dissapearing. His new venture is called Pertshire Estates Ltd. Top man, top kit.

...still in Aberfeldy too.

Used to be a nice large 'prestigious' shop on the corner, but last time I went past (about 3 years ago) I think the shop had gone; I imagine they are now in a less prominent (and less expensive) building. The shop used to stock tartans, tweeds and general millinery stuff and I assume found it hard to make ends meet; Aberfeldy isn't on the main tourist route and isn't an easy place to park either.

hello, i do not think your get much change out of £600/£800 for a hand made Tweed suite in fact i expect a lot more, you can pay £500 just for the jacket from what i see on the web sites, whatever you get i am sure it will look very smart on your shooting days, oh is there still a chap who advertise in the shooting times comes to you ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I was planning using Campbell of Beauly to be honest. Just want to know if I should be looking at £200 or £2000

Campbell used to be good as well - another one I have visited!

If you look at the prices of tweed items 'off the shelf' from someone like John Norris, then add maybe 30% - 50% for custom made, that might be a guide, but the tweed selected (quality, weight and pattern) plus any 'extras' you have like velcro fastening, elasticated leg bottoms, strap and buckle, linings, gore-tex layer will all add to the bill - but that is why you go specially made rather than 'off the shelf'.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Ive just purchased the new Musto Cairngorm lightweight tweed set. Nice colour with a blue window pane.

Machine washable and play around with the discount codes online and youll save a few ££.

CHO have the breeks on sale for £240. Ardmoor have the waistcoat for £270. The coat you can find for c£400 if you want to complete the set.

Highly recommend the garb.

Gibby

For a full tailor made suit you will be at two grand in the blink of an eye . Breeks two pair,one pair long trousers, waistcoat with silk back , shooting vest waistcoat with shoulder patches and bellows pockets for summer and partridge days when warm, fitted sports jacket and then your outer long over tweed frock coat or smock for cold wet days, your hat of choice. Soon mounts up, but must be nice when it’s a perfect fit in the tweed you choose.

Have two suits, one was made truly bespoke, a gents tailor was a special constable at our station and made me a superb shooting suit which I still have...must admit the jacket is a bit tight these days(40yrs of high living :yes: ). Then I had a three piece plus cap made by Hebden Tweed, now gone. I did have a local seamstress ease the 'joints' so to speak and both are still in use today. The pleasure of having one made is you don't appear as a 'clone' on shooting days.

As good as the modern retail stuff is, it is all the same two or three dull tweeds. Remember meeting Mr Paine many moons ago when he was working out of a big Transit van. He did a good deal then and still does for some very good quality gear.

Good to hear at least one bespoke tailor is still making stuff for the shooting field

It really depends on ur situation but I can imagine it will be a lot of cash.

If ur going for tailor made I'd also go for plus 4's rather than 2's as the fold will be enough so water doesn't run down the inside of ur willies/gaiters/boots the way it can with 2's

To be honest its surprising how cheap some tweeds can be, I bought a pair of breeks and waist coat for 25-30 quid each brand new, they're that HSF brand from sportsman gun centre, surprising how good they are for the money

Where is Old Farrier when you need his input. Im sure he could pass on his Tailors details.

Sat here laughing 🤣😂

Bit late in the season to be talking about having a suit made however

Try mr holden

Of knottingly Yorkshire a old family run business they'll make you a good suit after taking the measurements and choosing the tweed

Recommend gortex lined and additional pockets for radio ect

Anyways have a hare pocket in my jacket very handy for ties and empty cases

As for price that depends on the tweed and your size

Anyway hope this helps the op

All the best

Of

Edited by Old farrier