Are Daystate overhyped?

DukesArcher

Daystate. I've heard that they're the Rolls Royce of airguns and that you simply cannot get any better.

Now, going to the other end of the spectrum, I have also been told that they are fraught with problems and customers are always sending them back to the factory.

I like the look of them, and I personally want one, but is the price justified?

I'm looking for a buddy bottle PCP; ideally a regulated version. Cant decide between the BSA R10 SE, FX 400 or the Daystate Wolverine B-type.

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't bother if you're just looking for an accurate hunter/hft gun.

I've had the Air ranger, air wolf, Mk IVis and the Wolverine B-Type and they're all fine, but in terms of actually shooting or out-shooting others? They don't. The electronic ones are pretty unemotional things to shoot and the others didn't exactly set the world on fire for me. I don't think the B-Type is actually regulated either. It's got the Harper slingshot valve system that does almost as good a job, but there is still something of a power curve. Service costs are also fiendishly high - for no accountable reason that I can see. There's also a feeling that the best Daystate was in fact the baby of the range, the Huntsman - before it turned into the Regal.

They do make some very good looking guns, but the point of an air rifle is to shoot stuff, and with Daystate these days, you're paying premium prices for something that won't do anything more than the others. If you want one, go for it, but it won't make you a better shooter!

I'd save the extra cash and probably go for either the BSA R10 or the HW100

Are they really that bad? I’m a bit of a Daystate fanboy. Never had a problem with any of the three I’ve owned over the years.

The latest is a .25 FAC B-type Wolverine which I picked up for billy bargain money secondhand about the equivalent of a new top end BSA, Air Arms etc. Having looked closely at all the options at this years Game Fair give me a Daystate any day.

They are all overhyped. An airgun is good for about 30-40 yards and some people are spending in excess of over £1000 on a 12 ft/lb pop pellet gun. Crazy!

Just buy the cheapest,most beaten up one you can find second hand, it will be more than accurate enough out to 30 yards. Then with the money you’ve saved spend £50 on a FAC and get a CZ 22 lr!!

Are they really that bad? I’m a bit of a Daystate fanboy. Never had a problem with any of the three I’ve owned over the years.

The latest is a .25 FAC B-type Wolverine which I picked up for billy bargain money secondhand about the equivalent of a new top end BSA, Air Arms etc. Having looked closely at all the options at this years Game Fair give me a Daystate any day.

I perhaps I sounded a bit disingenuous! It sounds like you got a good deal - or perhaps a daystate at a price that they should be at ;) . I would also agree that they probably do ake better FAC gun than a lot of manufacturers. I wouldn't say they were any less accurate, for sure. and they are aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure that at 12ft/lbs they are hundreds of pounds more gun than some of the others out there.

Daystate have done a great marketing job in order to charge very high prices for what is still a 12 ft/lb air rifle, (with a few exceptions). I have seen the rifles being made, Daystate don't make the guns, they assemble parts they bring in from elsewhere. There appears to be a belief that they actually "make" the rifles, there is a big difference between making and assembling. I would never buy one, they cost far too much for what they are and I am led to believe the after sales service is poor. I would buy an HW100 or BSA or Air Arms.

Thanks for clearing that up. Whilst they do look like really nice rifles, I have just heard too many negative stories regarding them. For the money, I’d expect them to be absolutely bang on with zero problems I’d expect years of trouble free service.

I do want a body bottle rifle though, and ideally in .22 due to the high shot count it can give, plus I prefer the knock down power it delivers on rats.

So either BSA or FX theb. I like the look of the FX Royal 400, but is it really going to be any better than the new BSA?

Being honest, AA rifles look nice do, but I do want a buddy bottle.

Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up. Whilst they do look like really nice rifles, I have just heard too many negative stories regarding them. For the money, I’d expect them to be absolutely bang on with zero problems I’d expect years of trouble free service.

I do want a body bottle rifle though, and ideally in .22 due to the high shot count it can give, plus I prefer the knock down power it delivers on rats.

So either BSA or FX theb. I like the look of the FX Royal 400, but is it really going to be any better than the new BSA?

Being honest, AA rifles look nice do, but I do want a buddy bottle.

Thanks

hello, both are good PCPs, i checked out the royal but in the end bought a MK1 BSA R10 22 shot 1000s of pellets never a problem sold on for what i paid, now only have a FX VERMY MK 1/ in 22, in good nick and serviced so will last me out, :lol:

I perhaps I sounded a bit disingenuous! It sounds like you got a good deal - or perhaps a daystate at a price that they should be at ;) . I would also agree that they probably do ake better FAC gun than a lot of manufacturers. I wouldn't say they were any less accurate, for sure. and they are aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure that at 12ft/lbs they are hundreds of pounds more gun than some of the others out there.

BSA then...

Edited by DukesArcher

They are all overhyped. An airgun is good for about 30-40 yards and some people are spending in excess of over £1000 on a 12 ft/lb pop pellet gun. Crazy!

Just buy the cheapest,most beaten up one you can find second hand, it will be more than accurate enough out to 30 yards. Then with the money you’ve saved spend £50 on a FAC and get a CZ 22 lr!!

I have a SGC, FAC and a full Canadian firearms licence.

Hi Chris, makes me smile all these Daystate bashers and waste of money merchants.

Bloody walls life is full of choices and opinions . Just because someone doesnt have a pot to **** in doesnt mean a Hatsan is better than a Boss or Purdey does it?

I recently made a lot of enquiries about the FX Crown that was launched in the USA earlier in the year. My phone calls , e-mails where directed to them (in Sweden) their dealers in the UK and the distributor in the UK. In conclusion i wouldnt open my fly to **** on their **** service and product. Rude and condescending beyond belief. Daystate on the other hand have been excellent .

Edited by Whitebridges

I have a Daystate Huntsman Classic it’s never had to have anything done no leaks nothing it just works very nicely.

If I was spending the money that newer Daystates cost I’d buy a Fienwerkbau or Steyr Hunting five as a grey import or the new FX with the new twist barrel.