Anyone else struggling?

Beagle boy

Hi guy hope your all ok.

Has anyone else

Struggled with the pigeons this year? Not had a

Descent day on them all year even though Ive had

What I thought would be big days but turned out to be very average

Cheers rob

I've never had good days over the years on our land, it's not just me, none of the shooters do.

We never see large numbers in South Norfolk, but we do get reasonable days, I dont understand why you would scare them off with bangers if you wanted to shoot them, once they are disturbed they will travel some distance before settling again, and with all the winter drillings and whats left of the beech mast and acorns they have plenty of choice ,

In that situation I would have set out some flags to bring them towards your position, they work very well when you want to quietly encourage them to move around, any loud noises tends to unsettle them too much, making them nervous and twitchy.

Better luck next time, :yes::yes:

They day before I went there was still 300 on there, in 3 decent size groups.

Ive been watching them feed the seem to start at the top 3 fields and work their way down through the day.

My thinking being cover the top wood with bangers and push them down to my pattern.

Your ploy with the bangers was a mistake.

At least its not just me.

Yesterday there was 3-400 pigeons on some drillings and theyve been there about 3 days. Set my bangers to push the birds around. Came to this morning and saw 1 crow Ive never seen it so quiet

They day before I went there was still 300 on there, in 3 decent size groups.

Ive been watching them feed the seem to start at the top 3 fields and work their way down through the day.

My thinking being cover the top wood with bangers and push them down to my pattern.

Its not quite clear to me when you placed the bangers, was it the day before you shot the field ?

On large fields, or adjoining fields, I do place "flags" , or string bangers where I don't want the birds to be, but I do it on the day I shoot.

That usually works.

Another thought, if you see birds on the field. its often a good idea to walk them off and then see how long before (or if) they start to come back.

Sometimes with lots of options in the area, once they are disturbed, they don't return.

It may be that the birds you disturbed with the bangers had other options.

Its about 200 acres that he drilled so i places bangers at the very top end and I shot at the other end.

Cheers for all the advice guys anything I can learn Is a positive

On the plus side just shot on some maize stubble and had 60 in 2 hours so Im happy with that

Cheers rob

That is a very good bag in any ones book Beagle boy , 60 in 2 hours , I think you could give the majority of us advice , me especially , as the rate I am shooting pigeons at the moment it would take nearer two months to get 60 instead of two hours . WELL DONE.

Over the moon with it, just in the rite place at the rite time. Ive found with decoy crows if you get it perfect then they decoy better then pigeons. After 2 hours they stopped coming.

I just put 10 decoys out and a flapper and tucked into a hedge. I just havent got the pigeons rite this year which is frustrating. Some of the guys on here have given me some brilliant advice so far so I look forward to learning more through them and my own practise

Cheers rob

Had a great few hours this morning on a hundred acre freshly drilled field on a new permission. Left the moderated at home this time,went back to the Franchi Affinity semi auto and got 44 which included 3 corvids. My dog did her first retrieve, which I was ecstatic about, so all in all, very enjoyable. Could have stayed all day I reckon,as the birds were coming very consistently from about 8.00 o'clock and were still coming when I packed up, but I ran out of cartridges! Best day this year.