beaters flag

ips

U often see grouse keepers with flags they tie on to there sticks.

Either tie it on with a few bits of string u permantly attach to the flag or u do get re useable cable tie might work too (althou stick might be to narrow for re usable cable ties to work).

Does ur dog not just walk to heel of lead? It usually looks steady enough in any clips its a real pita having ur dog on a lead

Ps I take it ur keeper likes flags?? Must admit I've never seen the point unless a flanker or stop/flagger upper, most keepers I've worked under or beat for preder just stick tapping for pheasants

I always thought a clacker was the best thing to get birds moving forward, or even a really short stick (priest sized) so u can tap ur beating stick if ur not near a tree and need to get a 'tap' on.

Tying the clacker round ur neck like a whistle works well too for when ur not using it

Edited by scotslad

Hi scotslad. Seems that I haven't invented the "stick flag" then so no dragons den for me 😁

A while ago I made a stick, a straight job for beating so I don't knacker my best thumbstick tapping on trees. So I have cunningly attached via staples a white flag made from a feed bag, secured when not needed by two elastic hair band things. Tried it dogging in tonight and works a treat (pic to follow some time)

Last season I didn't use a flag but some did. For some reason keeper hinted the other day to bring me flag next Monday so one presumes he has a new job for me on the beating line.

Yes she does walk to heel (usually) but at times I air on the cautious when things start hotting up. Keeper has been VERY good to me and I would hate to be the one who's dog ruined a drive.

I was just thinking I think some of those keepers used rubber sheep castration rings to hold the flags on the stick. and they used those often orange material 1's u buy

Aye I have gave up having a decent stick they never last with me and that's me mainly picking nowadays.

Even when I beat i always carried a game bag (as my dogs could be pegging machines esp later on in season) and made a small flag that fitted inside it for the rare times I needed it.

Seen decent llight weight flags made from alky pipe and screws or rivets with cut up shotgun cases as washers to stop the bags ripping

I'm sure ur dog will be fine it always looks steady enough, but I do know the fear sometimes esp when u have left ur dog leads at home and got 3 at heel.

That's 1 f the reasons I 1st got an annonamous black lab :whistling:

Ha, mine is the only golden cocker so there ain't no pretending it wasna mine Mr keeper sir 😁

I will keep my thumbstick for shoot days as its handy for hooking me gun slip onto 😉 the wife bought it for me from bisley when I shot comp there so I don't want to wreck it bashing trees.

I like your confidence in my eze 👍

normal beaters flag, length of bungy cord. tie a loop in each end. one loop on bottom of the stick and other loop on the top that also holds the flag rolled up. then the stick sits cross your back with the bungy core across your chest. hands free for swinging a stick if needed. pop the cord off and put in pocket when using the flag.

normal beaters flag, length of bungy cord. tie a loop in each end. one loop on bottom of the stick and other loop on the top that also holds the flag rolled up. then the stick sits cross your back with the bungy core across your chest. hands free for swinging a stick if needed. pop the cord off and put in pocket when using the flag.

I think I need a pic of that 😵

Must admit if I was doing a lot of flagging like when beating on the grouse I still walked with my stick but made my own small flags that fit inside my game bag. Althou means u use both hands

I always just used old feed bags and u tend to get a good crack of them.

Even when I have been flagging throu a wood or open brambles etc I still like my stick for hitting brambles/cover/fences 

• 3 weeks later...