Wildfowling on a Sunday

ilovemyheckler

Firstly I don't do any wildfowling so sorry if this question sounds a bit silly.

I know that there are several English counties that allow wildfowling on a sunday but is there a definition of wildfowling or are you allowed to shoot any legal wildfowl quarry anywhere in the allowed counties?

For instance are you allowed to shoot driven ducks off inland ponds on a sunday?

This help.?

England and Wales

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day. Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954 still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation): Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

Scotland

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or Christmas Day but it is not customary to do so. The wildfowl species listed may not be shot on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Northern Ireland

It is an offence to kill any wild bird, gamebird or hare on a Sunday. Although there is no restriction on killing any wild bird, gamebird or hare on Christmas Day, provided it does not fall on a Sunday, it is not customary to do so. There is no prohibition on shooting deer on any day during the open season.

Isle of Man

The killing or taking of game is not permitted on Sunday. There are no restrictions on shooting on Christmas Day unless it falls on a Sunday.

Guernsey

Shooting is not permitted on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Jersey

The use of a firearm to kill any wild bird or animal is not permitted on Sunday, Good Friday and Christmas Day unless acting under and in accordance with the terms or conditions of a licence.

Driven duck may be counted as game shooting, as it’s driven over guns for Sport not flighted or decoyed like Wildfowling.

Worth finding out for sure.

I don't think it would make much difference how they were shot for sport, weather they were walked up ( out of dykes or drains ) , flighted or decoyed on ponds or salt marshes , as the law states , shooting of wildfowl in the permitted counties .

Sorry if I'm wrong, but it says that you are from NE Scotland.

Scotland

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or Christmas Day but it is not customary to do so. The wildfowl species listed may not be shot on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Thanks

I am in an area that allows wildfowling on a Sunday

My question is does in need to on the foreshore or can I shoot any of the legal quarry anywhere in the my county?

Does a driven duck shoot count as legal wildfowling?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of Sunday fowling.

True, its nice to give the birds a rest. But theres been many a time Ive wished I could have gone out on a Sunday(due to work commitments the rest of the week). It should be the same all over the uk to be honest and I think we should have the option to decide and not because its the sabbath.

Edited by wildfowler.250

So least that cleared that little matter up once and for all then :lol::no::lol:

Still clear as mud.

Just to confuse matters figgy , we have got flight ponds on the same estate , where you cant go on one because it is in Norfolk , then cross the road by foot and it is then legal to shoot the next one . because you are then in Suffolk , although we no longer shoot wildfowl now on a Sunday .

True, its nice to give the birds a rest. But theres been many a time Ive wished I could have gone out on a Sunday(due to work commitments the rest of the week). It should be the same all over the uk to be honest and I think we should have the option to decide and not because its the sabbath.

Definitely good for the birds, totally agreed. I have the same problem re work too.

I like the fact where I live still has a proper Sunday, but can understand its not for everyone.