Steel wildfowl loads on Lee loadall

As title any body reload steel or non toxic like powershot or HW13 on a lee loadall or do you hand load and roll turn over ?

Curious about loading my own goose carts after reading what others are doing cartridge wise, i dont use too many in a season so dont fancy spending on a Mec steelmaster etc if I dont carry on with it.

What are powders for the loads like for getting hold of too?

As title any body reload steel or non toxic like powershot or HW13 on a lee loadall or do you hand load and roll turn over ?

Curious about loading my own goose carts after reading what others are doing cartridge wise, i dont use too many in a season so dont fancy spending on a Mec steelmaster etc if I dont carry on with it.

What are powders for the loads like for getting hold of too?

i do all mine with a set of scales and an old vintage rto machine thats all the gear you need really simple and cheap.

Sounds like it could be just the thing, I think I would rather measure the powder and shot by hand as for fowling Id probably use less than 100 3 carts in a season as I use the gamebore super steels for most ducks and teal over the splashes. Dont think I could load similar to the super steel cheaper. So would continue with them but for geese and long range duck Id load my own.

When I buy one Ill be asking for data for all the cracking carts your all loading. Especially BB steel and this HW13 or power shot.

Edited by figgy

I started with a loadall. They do give a relatively good crimp. But you do need to hand weigh the powder and shot. The difficulty comes with the 3.5 inch rounds as there isn't enough clearance to de prime and resize on the first station and ends up crushing the top of the hull. The way around it i found was knock the fired primer out with a screw driver and with the addition of a second resizing ring then resize and insert primer and release the rings on the second stage. But they are a good cheap press to get you started and if your only using 3inch then definitely worth it.

Got my press and BBB shot yesterday, set it up and done 15 3 carts to try out. Was impressed with the crimps could barely tell the difference to factory loads and got the taper to the top too.

Motty are you loading steel carts with the blue dot and what speeds are you achieving. Locally I can get Alliant blue dot or unique any others like Alliant Steel Id have to travel to get.

That 46 gram HW13 3 load sounds interesting, what size shot are push out? I been thinking 3 or 3.5mm would make a good long range goose load

Edited by figgy

So does that mean steel bbb loads going 1300 FPS could be loaded using Blue dot ? If Steel powder isnt available. Might be a silly question as Im new to this. I dont see how the shot type matters if the weight is the same ie lead steel or hw shot.

Thank so far people for all your advice so far :good:

Been doing some sums and worked out using my once fired hulls I can reload a 35g bbb load in a 3 for around 30p unless I got it wrong working out how many grains loads per kilo powder etc. Now that to me to get a good load is a bargain.

Edited by figgy

A 35gm load of BBB going at 1300 fps should easily be achievable with blue dot. I would have slight reservations over pellet count, though. I doubt that a 35gm load would have 80 pellets - possibly 77. I would go for BB in that weight, and leave the BBB for 3 1/2".

I can see me buying a cheap 31/2 pump for next season just for geese and keep the 3 Benelli semi for duck loads.

Your count is spot on Motty Ill have to pattern some with my long range choke and see what I get.

Edited by figgy