Gun Dog Castration

Lucky Shot 1958

Evening Gents,

Took my boy to the vets today for his boosters etc and the vet asked if I had considered having him castrated as a precaution against testicular and pancreatic cancer.

Have any of you had your gun dogs castrated and what are your views please,my boy is a two year old springer.

Thanks

Lucky shot

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/293685-long-term-health-effects-of-spaying-and-neutering/?hl=%2Bspaying+%2Band+%2Bneutering

This is an article I posted a while ago on spaying and neutering. There is a lot more info on the internet since this paper. I don't have my dogs neutered.

There are 12 pages to the article, but well worth reading on such an important decision.

Liver and spleen cancer is sadly much more common than testicular cancer in dogs.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Vets seem obsessed about this.

The issue is if you don't want to sire him, then there's no need for his balls.

Testosterone driven cancers don't get any relief by castrating once the cancer is there.

I've always been a neutering owner.

I agree with most of the previous replies.

Given the choice between being castrated now or running the (very low) risk of developing testicular cancer in later life, what would YOU choose? :no:

If there's nothing wrong with him t present (either physically or behaviourally) then why do it?

I've only ever castrated one of my previous dogs - a rescue Weimeraner that was extremely aggressive to other dogs - he remained aggressive after castration and only really ever relaxed with other dogs after the age of about 8.

My present dog is an intact male GSP, he's as soft as butter with other dogs (even other intact males) but he can be a might "headstrong" at times. I have no idea whether his stubbornness is a trait of that breed (as I've been told by people with more experience of GSPs) or a result of his active hormones. As it's not a big problem for me, I'm going to leave him intact and plan to spend many happy hours flushing fur and feather and a few hours getting frustrated with him each month.

Like most dogs! :/

• 3 weeks later...

SA practices tend to "recommend" many things for your dog's longevity, irrespective of their financial incentive (ahem).

Nobody will mention it (vets) - 'cos presumably the white coated ones in the consulting room (located behind the foyer filled with myriads of trinkets essential to Fido's mental and physical well-being) - but when you+your castrated dog get into the beaters' cart amongst other (intact) male dogs - you will find to your chagrin, the latter are pestering your best friend. 

I warn you..... Transgendering is rife....