Stupid trend.

lancer425

This morning was following a sprinter van down a A road slowing for a bend in the road sprinter sudden swerves left mounts the verge and is sliding down the side of a Kia Sportage thats stopped in the middle of the road letting about half a dozen cars out of a side road, i managed to stop ok but a lorry flowing me was very close to me when he stopped.

Sprinter had just touched the left rear corner of the Kia i thought it was a miracle he did not end up in the ditch the van was slewed over at an insane angle he was lucky.

Decides i need to stop as although not involved directly i could witness for the van.

Lorry driver behind did the same, Guy gets out this Kia in his late 50s early 60s ranting and raving he is at this young bloke in this sprinter van.

How fast were you going he is shouting at the top of his voice i chips in 40MPH that’s what he was doing i have been following him for 3 miles or more.

Next the Kia driver turns on me proper nasty i suppose you two are together right he says.

No i said the lorry driver chips in now asked him what he was doing stopping dead on a A road Kia driver said did you not see the cars wanting to come out that junction, i was being courteous he says i dont suppose you lunatics understand the meaning of the word.

The Lorry driver was starting to get aggitated now so i went over to the Lad in the Sprinter he looked shaken and he took my phone number in case he needed any help.

I left them to it still arguing. :no:

Courtesy is one thing but that little fiassco had the makings of a bad accident and all for nothing, sad part is the hero of the hour the sprinter driver is probably in the wrong as he Touched the Kia, i was not in any danger from hiting either of them but the lorry could just as easy hit me if he had not been on the ball.

Seem to be seeing this stopping in the road to let people out junctions all the more these days, its a stupid trend i think, if done safely its negligible on risk but just anchoring up on an A road its potentially dangerous.

I agree stopping on a busy A road to let someone out isn't a good idea, but unless he did an emergency stop to do it, shouldn't the van driver have seen him and been able to slow properly in time?

OH he did anchor up in the Kia nothing gentle about it i was at the side of the sprinter i was braking hard and only 6 foot off the KIA when i stopped and the Lorry 6 inch from my back bumper.

I drove down a road a while ago in spring and the car in front kept braking hard and nearly caused a pile up. The driver eventually pulled off in a lay-by and I was pretty annoyed so followed and asked why the appalling driving, her reply was the baby rabbits were running across the road and she didnt want to run any over. I tried to educate her and think about potential consequences of her actions

Had this on a busy dual carriageway! Stupid woman 2 cars ahead stopped dead to let a car on from a slipway,luckily for me the artic behind was able to swerve out into next lane,otherwise I`d have been flattened....

There seems to be this stupid trend (mainly women drivers!) towards ignoring the Highway Code ,just to be nice to people...........

The other one is to indicate left when going straight over a mini roundabout.....

Who teaches this nonsense ??????

Had this on a busy dual carriageway! Stupid woman 2 cars ahead stopped dead to let a car on from a slipway,luckily for me the artic behind was able to swerve out into next lane,otherwise I`d have been flattened....

There seems to be this stupid trend (mainly women drivers!) towards ignoring the Highway Code ,just to be nice to people...........

The other one is to indicate left when going straight over a mini roundabout.....

Who teaches this nonsense ??????

When crossing a roundabout, you indicate after passing the last exit before yours, to show your intention! But some seem to indicate as the enter and thus confuse other drivers! My pet hate is people who cut a straight line over a roundabout and simply refuse to Follow the course of the lane. Fair enough if there is no other road users there! But when there are, it's bad form!

Unfortunately, legally the Sprinter driver is at fault. Failure to stop his vehicle. Any vehicle that runs into the back of another vehicle is at fault, Failure to stop.

As for stopping to let people out, its courteous but unfortunately like people indicating its dying out.

Best if everybody takes care when posting on the forum; you don't know who is reading this. An FEO might have doubts about somebody who appears to pours scorn on courtesy, or displays an impatient/impetuous side to his character.

I understand what you are saying but fail to see the relevance in this thread, everyone was at the time amicable only the Kia driver was agitated and the Lory driver was simply putting him straight and as for posts on here i have seen no posts which could perhaps be misconstrued as even remotely agitated or aggressive.

Unfortunately, legally the Sprinter driver is at fault. Failure to stop his vehicle. Any vehicle that runs into the back of another vehicle is at fault, Failure to stop.

As for stopping to let people out, its courteous but unfortunately like people indicating its dying out.

Not in all cases! I had a woman go into the backcomy my car exiting a roundabout and she got 50/50

An elderly lady pulled out in from of me today as I drove round a roundabout.

I don't think she singled me out as she also pulled out in front of all of the other cars too. She didn't even make an effort to slow down and seem oblivious to me doing an emergency stop and thumping the horn inches from her drivers door.

All too common these days. Almost a year to the day a respectable chap got bored of waiting and pulled across the a46, into my car doing 60mph. By the grace of God I swerved a little bit and hit his offside rear door. Both cars were written off. My wife gave birth a few days later.

Take care out there and it's not worth speeding, not even a little bit.

I was driving the Landie towing a trailer load of logs a few weeks ago and intended turning right off the busy main road into a narrow lane. I had noted a couple of trucks behind and so indicated a 100yrds prior and slowed progressively to give them time and space. Approaching from the opposite direction was a medium sized family car indicating to turn into the same lane, so he had priority, I came almost to standstill, the car turned half into the lane in the centre of the road and came to an abrupt halt, half in half out. I had to stop part way into my turn but the truck driver behind obviously assumed the car would proceed and so I would follow. I heard a loud shuffling of rubber on tarmac behind and the truck driver filled my rear window. I looked to see why the driver had suddenly stopped to see his wife hand him a map book which he started to peruse as if no one else existed. I was about to give him a blast on my horn when the truck driver behind did it for me and my ears are still wringing. He was an old bloke wearing glasses and back in the 60s when I took two advanced courses on motor bike and car at Staffordshire Police Driving School, they half joked that the driver to watch was an old guy in cap and glasses driving a Rover.

One of the first 'laws' out there is to give yourself room and use your eyesight out as far as you can see. My motor cycle instructor on our first day we got let out to actually ride. Stopped at the HQ drive end with the Cannock Road and for a few minutes just watched the cars go by. He then turned and said, " If you forget everything I am about to teach you, remember this. All them ******** are trying to kill you". Works today , treat very driver/vehicle as a threat to your life.

The Kia driver was stupid, but his aggression may have been down to shock/stress/fear...the Sprinter driver was at fault, observation poor and didn't brake in time!

It wasn't a white sprinter was it? Cos they (or the white van man driving it) are usually at fault! Lol!

Really.......

Had a good one today, 20t recycling (skip) wagon with matching trailer pulled along my lefthand side into a left hand turn only lane at traffic lights, only to plough straight on when lights changed pushing me and car behind me into middle of the road as he switched back into straight ahead lane.

Edited by Stonepark

My point Gordon was this had nothing to do with my good self or anyone on this forum or more importantly posting comets on this thread. :)

My point was to highlight the inconsistency of your account. A commonplace event with witnesses. That said, the blame will lie with the van driver. The lorry driver should have looked at his own driving before patronising others.

It wasn't a white sprinter was it? Cos they (or the white van man driving it) are usually at fault! Lol!

"White van man" drives more hours in a week than the average commuter drives in a month. Simple math dictates that they have a greater chance of being involved in an incident and indeed insurance companies don't favour them with low premiums despite them being professional drivers.

They tend to be confident, potentially almost aggressive drivers because they spend so much time behind the wheel. They're in a hurry because their employers set them challenging targets for deliveries. The guys who drive for Amazon are doing 125+ drops in a day with targets of doing 16+ drops per hour. Despite those targets you'll probably find they are often very courteous in letting people out of junctions or through gaps where only one car may pass.

Yes of course there are some bad drivers amongst them but on the whole I'd say they are better drivers with superior observation skills than the average motorist. Certainly on motorways they are more likely to drive with correct lane discipline. Your average middle lane cruiser is far more likely to be a saloon driver than a van driver.

Am I biased because I am a WVM? Yes possibly but honestly I've been in the cab with enough of them to feel I'd trust them over the average commuter.

Twice this year I've entered roundabouts on dual carriageways in the right hand lane with the intention of going straight on. On both occasions I've narrowly avoided a crash when the idiot in the left hand lane decided they wanted to take the third exit and just carried on driving round forcing me to take evasive action and go all the way around the roundabout again.