Worth Bothering with this Perm?

evolution380

Been down Gloucestershire for a long weekend for a few days break and have permission to shoot the land by the owner of the place I stay, just after some advice on this particular piece of land which I want to shoot when I go for breaks until a perm on an estate is allowed to be shot after the game season.

Just trying to determine if it's worth just enjoying clays or taking periodic trips down gloucestershire for the weekend as I do love getting out but I think the perm I currently have is a bit of a non starter or can I work with what I have here until February? Just after feedback from folks really. I took the guns this weekend but spent no more than 2 hours on Saturday and Monday due to the lack of quarry the fields are just covered in grass currently no crops.

Attached is a marked up aerial image,

Red Line = Site Boundary of Permissions

Green Line = Public Footpaths (Dog walkers atleast every 10-15mins to the southern path)

Blue Line = Contractors working on a drainage ditch for the next few months

Orange Line = New Housing Estate being built.

Purple Line = Overhead Cables

Orange Arrow = Pigeon Flightpath (1 pigeon every 20 mins or so from watching for a few hours)

Black Arrow = Duck, Geese & Seagull Flightpath constant and in flocks

Due to the many hazards and obstructions on and around the site i'm almost tempted to just buy a hush power and take the air rifle to shoot rabbits which are to the East of the Site but I find it boring in comparison to pigeons /corvids etc.

Pigeons can't be shot on their flight path as they fly directly over the drainage site full of contractors, materials and machinery and there just very few and far between.

I didn't try to Decoy but believe there is enough room if I position myself at the South East corner of the site, back against the footpaths which are heavily segregated by mature trees and maybe set the decoys up somewhere near the black arrows?

I definitely need a hush power or moderated shotgun due to the amount of families walking their dogs etc. they can't see me and I can't see them so I kept away from that boundary so not scare folk and get complaints on my first outing there. I could always hear them approaching or their dogs making their way into the field.

Am I right in thinking I can shoot duck until 31st January, not sure if i'm missing anything with the 'above the mean high water mark'? This would be a great perm if I could shoot duck as they are constantly flying overhead to the pond probably 50+ an hour in and out of the pond. I only had lead shot on me so couldn't shoot and I wanted to be certain of the rules before I attempted to take the shots.

Literally the only thing I shot over the weekend were rabbits, had 2 x pheasants wonder on to the land however 1 was on a Sunday and 1 was still extremely young/small and was practically walking towards me so I didn't bother as it didn't seem like sport to me.

I would go there just for the duck! Yes you can shoot up until January 31st.

Thanks for confirming, that's a game changer then as quite a few duck fly straight over-head in probably the safest place to shoot on the field. I'll make sure I take suitable cartridges next time and it should be a lot more eventful.

Just need to position myself further away from the pond to ensure they land on the perm.

Edited by evolution380

I would keep it as a 'very early morning' duck and pigeon perm, you could get a couple of hours before most people are out of bed, the only other option would be a fully moderated 20 bore which would keep noise to a minimum but you still need to warn walkers, a small sign or red flag either side of you on the footpath, but with workmen moving around and dog walkers disturbing any chance of decoying I would not bother with it,

I was shooting on some rape the other day with my back to a kids playground,50 yards away, I was checking every few minutes that there was no one there, but at 3.00 pm just as birds started to arrive the school turned out and I had to pack up, just could not risk complaints getting back to the land owner or angry parents chasing me around the field, Give me miles of open farmland anyday compared to built up areas. :lol::lol: