"Im mainly useless..."

ditchman

Well there is a surprise.......................

got all my messages done today , went into Norwich to pick up a set of braided steel brake pipes...done the shopping ...no cooking today as it is fish&chip night to night.......... :yahoo:

right im off out....................lovely day ...bit of breeze not cold...bit of sun and nice fluffy clouds............grabbed the AYA 26" boxlock...

parked under an oak tree, on a supposed flighline, ......what i was looking for was 2 decent birds for the rotary...........weeellllllll............first one came over.....BANG.....missed...........2nd came over BANG missed.........and the bloody gun was jammed shut....so spent a few mins thumping it gently with the heel of my hand until i heard a "click".......toplever worked, gun opened spat the spent cases out.....bit of a problem with the catch returning....put a couple of empties in and cycled it 3 times..........

nnneeext bird comes over..............well i tell you now , looking back in retrospect it was a waste of time me pulling the trigger.......i would have shot myself out of shame...........but yet again i would have missed :unhappy:

anyway 3 more really good birds come over................blam blam blam........dropped 3 of them one after the other...and they were good birds at distance 35-40 yards.............soooo i had what i came for, and made for home....

In da shed.........that gun is going to come apart....unscrewed it all..........ugh !....rust and stiff congealed oil...also the "tee bar" that goes thro' the bottom of the safty catch wasnt looking too good....so i had that out ..slung it and made another one...heated up the catch with heat gun and tapped home the new tee bar...... put a few drops of Singer sewing machine oil on my hands ...wiped all the pieces down...and re-assembled...

SLICK AS SNOT :yahoo::yahoo:

so really the breakdown did me a favour ...as i can feel a migrant bird extravaganzer a' comin' orn boi'..........

:good::good:

all i can say ditch is i'm right upset an engineer bloke like you letting your gun get to that state shame on you

Alan

you are quite right........its been a couple of years since i stripped it down..........i always wipe it down with an oily cloth....but some water must have got in it....into the safty catch...

You never cease to amaze me , one day your stripping the gearbox out of a land rover , the next sorting the in and outs a Fordson super major restoration project , then after a short break for dinner ( a lovely tail end of Haddock ) you are stripping out the gears out of a A Y A 26 , yell yer boi , if your mainly useless , I daren't think what I am :yes: