Shotgun renewal

bolly2201

Good evening all, put my renewal in with South Yorkshire police, interview was on the Wednesday 2nd August. All went well, I thinks. Nothing changed over the last 5 years, but not had any response from said force. My renewal runs out on the 29th October, any advise would be appreciated, anyone else dealing with said force similar time delays.

Any advise welcome.

Interesting in this as my forms arrived two weeks ago and my license runs out in February.

I have plenty of cartridges so Im not worried.

Any idea how long it will take fir my renewal

Unfortunately I think it’s like asking how longs a piece of string. So much difference around the UK in time taken and it goes from “they didn’t visit just called and renewed licence arrived a week later” to “Ive been waiting a year for renewal”and everything in between. In my case this year they sent my renewal letter approx 3 months before it ran out, the visit was roughly just over 4 weeks before it ran out and the certificate arrived about 10 or so days before it ran out - Met Police. I think the general rule is get it in before the time limit they state they need to renew so they at least cannot say you were late putting in for renewal.

Interesting in this as my forms arrived two weeks ago and my license runs out in February.

I have plenty of cartridges so Im not worried.

Any idea how long it will take fir my renewal

Get them filled in and back to them quickly then!

Then if it takes them a long time you should be offered a Section 7.

if you gave them plenty of time, say 8 weeks then they should give you a sec 7.to cover you,phone them

They don't issue S7s anymore. The protocol was changed (last year?) so that you can now keep your guns up to 8 weeks after the expiry date of the certificate, as long as the application was made 'in good time' (generally taken to be 8 weeks before the expiry date). If it was made in less time than that you'll need to take them to an RFD or sign them onto a friends certificate.

They don't issue S7s anymore. The protocol was changed (last year?) so that you can now keep your guns up to 8 weeks after the expiry date of the certificate, as long as the application was made 'in good time' (generally taken to be 8 weeks before the expiry date). If it was made in less time than that you'll need to take them to an RFD or sign them onto a friends certificate.

Is that in your area or throughout UK? I don’t want to be a doubting Thomas but I haven’t heard anybody else say that.

Police and Crime Act 2017- I believe the same act which changed the status of expanding ammo. Not all that easy to find the info to be honest.

Source: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2017/3/part/6/enacted

“28BCertificates: limited extension

(1)This section applies where—

(a)an application is made for the renewal of a certificate on or before the day which falls 8 weeks before the day at the end of which the certificate is due to expire, but

(b)the chief officer of police does not determine whether or not to grant the application before the certificate is due to expire.

(2)The certificate continues in force by virtue of this subsection until whichever of the following events occurs first—

(a)the chief officer determines whether or not to grant the application;

(b)the extension period ends.

(3)In subsection (2), “the extension period” means the period of 8 weeks beginning with the day after the day at the end of which the certificate was due to expire.

(4)If the event mentioned in subsection (2)(a) occurs first, and the chief officer grants the application, any period for which the certificate continued in force under subsection (2) is to be treated for the purposes of section 28A(1) as part of the period for which the renewed certificate is in force.

(5)This section does not apply in relation to the renewal of a certificate granted or last renewed in Northern Ireland.”

(2)In consequence of the amendment made by subsection (1), in section 28A of that Act (certificates: supplementary), after subsection (1) insert—

“(1A)Subsection (1) is subject to the provision made by section 28B for circumstances in which a certificate may continue in force after the period of five years from the date when it was granted or last renewed.”

My SGC/FAC ran out mid September, sent my forms in beginning of June, was told by Staffordshire/West midlands that they are running six to eight weeks behind, received my temporary certificates on the 10 June, so if they take the full eight weeks I should get my certificates around end of November.

Just did mine in Norfolk, gave them 8 weeks notice, took 7 weeks , I was getting worried so I phoned them, it was on a clerks desk waiting to be processed , she had put it in a wrong pile but to be fair she was on her own and had half a dozen different jobs , she was very nice and helpful, did it there and then and posted it the same day so panic averted. always pays to ask, just in case its been 'mislaid' . :yahoo::yahoo:

My SGC/FAC ran out mid September, sent my forms in beginning of June, was told by Staffordshire/West midlands that they are running six to eight weeks behind, received my temporary certificates on the 10 June, so if they take the full eight weeks I should get my certificates around end of November.

Isnt it amazing that they seem to be able to run 6 - 8 weeks behind when the new guidelines say they are (effectively) allowed to run........... 8 weeks behind !