I thought mummy dogs toilet trained their puppies...

Dave-G

Huh, I'm totally not in any way a dog person but sort of got mildly blackmailed into letting my lad bring a small dog home, partly because he said he'd find somewhere else to live if I dont. We know he can't afford his own place yet but knew the wife had said she liked the idea of a small dog soon so I agreed. They both knew I wouldn't stand for a dog that barks or yaps a lot because of my sleep issues but now I'm not working nights I might be able to go with it.

He bought a Papillon dog for £600! :ermm:

Well I now have to watch where I walk to avoid its yellow urine stains! We have a toilet mat for him which he mostly uses but frequently does his thing on the lounge carpet or kitchen tiles. I've put my foot down about wearing shoes in the house again now the new carpet has been soiled.

It was 10 weeks old before being taken from its mum and we've had it for about a week. I really thought it would have been house trained where it lived before us.

On the plus side he is a very quiet yet playful chap - not sure I'd want to be seen taking a toy dog walkies when he's had his last jab though but maybe its OK if a pensioner has one. :oops:

Don't really know where I'm going with this now apart from asking if it should have been trained before leaving his mum.

You need to keep taking it outside regularly, plus after eating and if it starts sniffing the floor or getting ready to poo (you will start to recognise the signs). Once it has done its business outside give it lots of fuss and maybe a treat. Oh and at that age you might need to set your alarm to take it out during the night too 😀

It's worth looking into crate training too.

Good luck 👍🏻

Well I did a bit of reading up about the breed and house training. Zipped him in his cage area that has enough room for his curl up in bed and some toys at the side of it for a few hours after it had a dump. He usually does that on the toilet mat OK. He gets treats when he uses the mat.

Let him out after 4 hours and coaxed him across the room to the mat that we had moved across the room after reading its a good idea hoping he'd have a wee. Tried to keep him interested there but he made his way back to what I thought would be bed because he seemed tired - but had a quick wee outside the cage before I could get to him.

The problem with the puppy mats is they reinforce the idea that its ok to go to the toilet in the house.

I wouldnt use them, instead take him out every hour to where hes allowed to relieve himself and then give really over the top praise when he does.

Its a ballache but mine got the idea within a day or 2

Also get some pet urine odour remover - its breaks down the enzymes and thus the scent properly. Otherwise they will keep smelling their urine etc on the carpet and it encourages them to go there again.

This one at Wilko is good for example:

http://www.wilko.com/multi-purpose-cleaners/simple-solution-urine-destroyer-945ml/invt/0313645

Your dog will be absolutely fine in the garden the risk is incredibly low, although obviously I can't guarantee this.

I would say it's far more important to get the dog used to toileting outside, this is why I don't like those toilet pads, your basically teaching the dog to do it's business inside.

Just remember a puppy is a bit like a baby, they can't hold it for long and they need to learn where to go to the toilet.

I used to take mine outside every 30-60 mins, when they go outside they get loads of fuss and cuddles and a tasty small treat.

I would never punish of hit a dog for having an accident inside, just as I would never expect someone to punish a small child for having an accident inside. The old "rub their nose in it" is barbaric and cruel.

Positive enforcement is the way to go - you can google the term.

Also do you crate the dog when your out / over-night?

Dogs don't mess in their beds, the crate should be small enough to turn around in and move comfortably but I've never left them big enough to go to the toilet inside.

For this though you have to let the dog out frequently. Don't be one of those people who gets a dog and then locks it in the crate for hours on end.

Good luck mate :)

Also I'm sure we all want some pics of you walking your new lap dog lol