NV Monocular Spotter

wymberley

Very first impression of 860RT:

Voyager - 4lb 13oz

860 - 15oz.

hello, pleased so far?, let us know what it performs like at night when you have made an assessment,

I have a warranty replacement Pulsar X870 for sale used only a couple of times by a friend since it's arrival, I bought a Thermal whilst it was away mainly for Stalking. They were £850 before the new model came out, I want £300 posted RMSD. It is boxed with the TJ delivery note. This sees a very long way in the right conditions and was the best Digi spotter by a way, can't speak for the new Model but struggle to see how it will be better.

hello, thanks for that, still deciding on what is suitable for my use.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

If I knew any of you were close enough I'd let you have a looksee through one of my hand held or screen suction mount spotters to get an idea of the viewing area seen at about 3.5 mag. Nearest I can suggest you try is take your regular day time scope out at night with a lamp fixed to it and try it at 3.5 mag.

If you do the above don't be tempted to cheat yourself by using your eyes to view anything other than what you see in the scope - in fact an eye patch or facemask etc preventing you from seeing anything else would be the nearest likeness I can think of.

Very good point. Never mind bugs bunny, I can never understand how on earth you can't always find a dead fox. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to go back the next morning only to find that I'd very nearly walked over it without seeing it the previous night.

Thats also a nightmare on one of my permissions he wants them shot but insists that the carcass is removed as he doesnt want hassle with dog walkers. As you say when you have hit one at over 100 yards keeping a line to find it can be really hard. The other week I found one by nearly falling over it after 15 mins looking :)

So, does the 860 RT work?

Yes.

Is it perfect?

No.

Popped up the farm yesterday afternoon with the range finder and took some readings. Went back last night with the Voyager and 860.I was in a valley with only natural ambient light, clear sky and 1/2 moon. Once my eyes adjusted, I could see the foliage of both trees and the tops of the hedges silhouetted on the skyline. On the ground I could see a black mass but couldn't identify what I knew to be cows lying down at about 120 yards. I could also see the nearest tree trunk at 90 yards but not the next at 116. That was my lot.

Got the Voyager with the NM 400 and damn me, there was Freddy wandering through the cows as clear as day with a superb looking brush. I'll have him later. I could just about make out the feeder at 220 and that was it. I could tell from the telegraph pole at 164 that Freddy would have been easily spotted head on, but at the side hedge 33 yards further on I wouldn't have seen him at all.

Any multi role anything means that any one individual role is compromised. The 860 is a multi role optic device. Speaking purely from a shooting point of view now. The focus adjustment is where it should be and is fine as is the brightness control. Do I need to take photo's, make a video and record sound. No. Get rid of it. One button gone. Do I need to alter the IR setting and turn it on/off? As there is a mount for an external source which will probably permit brightness control, but also beam spread and direction which the on board version lacks and likely be more powerful? No, simply because the latter doesn't point where the unit is looking. Get rid of it. Two buttons gone. Do I need to alter the magnification? No, as the existing default 6.5 is more than sufficient to identify anything that we're looking for at the maximum capability of the unit. On this point, some, rightly, consider this to be too much anyway. However, as you can't pan/scan as quickly as you can with a torch or conventional NV as the screen has to play 'catch up' you have to take it steady. Consequently rotating the unit through 90 degrees changes the screen from panoramic to portrait increases your field of view in terms of distance. Another button gone. I know what day it is and can probably even remember the date. I also have a watch. Delete that information. so what have we left? A clear uncluttered screen with just the handy battery level indicator tucked away in one corner and just one button (for on/off) which ensures that the highly probable chance of pressing the wrong one ceases to exist.

Yes, it does work. I could clearly see the legs of the feeder - less height than a fox and some 20 yards further on, clearly see the bars on a conventional steel five bar gate. I could make out some detail of the side hedge at the 197 and again would have seen a fox. The top hedge at 250 showed no detail so Reynard would have had to have been a few yards closer before being identified. This was with the NM 400 at max power which gave a problem which was my fault. Too much glare from the tree foliage caused a 'black out' in the immediately surrounding area. I've not used the 400 for a while and have to confess that I had forgotten how to alter the power setting - until I was in the car on the way home. At the 250, the full power is necessary (for my old eyes) but obviously proportionally less as the distance is reduced.

Worth the money? I think so.