Full rewire or partial ?

Royboy

Well Ive sold my house and now Im looking for another one to rip apart, Ive been to view one today that needs modernising (new kitchen and bathroom) but Im not sure on the fuse box.

It looks old but Im not 100% how old.

Would I get away with a partial rewire or would I be best completely renewing ??

0744F092-BF96-4EA0-8851-018A834991C5_zps

What kind of pricing are you looking at for a full rewire in a 60s 3 bed semi ?

Cheers

Edited by Royboy

New board for sure, full rewire almost definitely.

Cost depends a lot on what state the hose is in. If you are pulling down ceilings or lifting floorboards, doing the chases or able to pull cable in any existing conduit or in stud walls.

Location would obviously play a part too but I generally expect to pay around £2000 when we do a full refurb.

Hope that helps.

Edd

New board for sure, full rewire almost definitely.

Cost depends a lot on what state the hose is in. If you are pulling down ceilings or lifting floorboards, doing the chases or able to pull cable in any existing conduit or in stud walls.

Location would obviously play a part too but I generally expect to pay around £2000 when we do a full refurb.

Hope that helps.

Edd

Thats not a bad price at all really, the walls didnt look in bad nick so was hoping to maybe just skim with out boarding, but the walls can be patched up and skimmed where theyve been chased out ?

Thats not a bad price at all really, the walls didnt look in bad nick so was hoping to maybe just skim with out boarding, but the walls can be patched up and skimmed where theyve been chased out ?

Don't base anything on my prices, we do quite a few and get a good rate.

Edd

As said above, if Edd's a builder he will get a preferential rate I expect. I'd expect to pay double that for a rewire to a decent spec with extractor fan/smoke detectors etc. Obviously as also said you'll save considerably if you can do all the donkey work/floors up and chasing out especially when it's an empty house.

Whether or not it 'needs' a rewire is another matter, but if you're doing a full refurb is makes sense while it's empty and floors are coming up etc.

as above really def new consumer unit and looks like bonding (earthing) upgrade, fitting latest units with rcd protection to old wirring there could be high chance of faults being detected by rcd that a fuse would not pick up, plus you dont know whats hidden under the floor etc like connectors and cables not run correctly through joists,

me full rewire then atleast you will have peace of mind knowing job is done to latest regs ( which i believe they have gone over board with ) and you can sleep tight at night

if your not doing any alterations then have a qualified electrician have a look at it,he can do a quick insulation test ,check for cpc's in the lighting circut's & test for shared neutral on lights before you jump in.

you might be ok with a board change and earthing upgrade.

if your adding lights & extra points rewire the lot..