Catalonia 'declares independence' ...

Lloyd90

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope things stay calm but I think civil unrest is a real possibility, coupled with the actions of Spanish police it could get really ugly. Still no word from the EU?

Why is there an obsession with the EU on this forum when it comes to domestic matters in Spain?

The situation is full of huge uncertainty for the people of Spain with the regional and federal governments taking a polarised stance, what benefit would a soundbite from an EU bureacrat bring? Other than to give the PW anti EU faithful something to jar over

Edited by grrclark

That means nearly 20% of Spains GDP will be outside the EU. We should recognise them and do a trade deal real quick!

A random thought - why doesn't Ms Krankie do the same

Declare UDI?

As much as her fervent supporters may desire such an act, she has the sense to appreciate the majority of Scotland don't.

Sadly she is not so sensible as to actually respect the outcome of the vote and stop banging on about it.

Edited by grrclark

Why is there an obsession with the EU on this forum when it comes to domestic matters in Spain?

The situation is full of huge uncertainty for the people of Spain with the regional and federal governments taking a polarised stance, what benefit would a soundbite from an EU bureacrat bring? Other than to give the PW anti EU faithful something to jar over

I would have thought any situation that could bring instability to a member state would be subject to EU intervention or at least comment. Especially as Catalonia leaving Spain would leave Spain in a painful financial situation apparently.

Potentially another country for Germany to bail out and blackmail?

I would have thought any situation that could bring instability to a member state would be subject to EU intervention or at least comment. Especially as Catalonia leaving Spain would leave Spain in a painful financial situation apparently.

Potentially another country for Germany to bail out and blackmail?

So by that reasoning should the EU intervene in post Brexit vote Britain?

I find it a little baffling that so often contributors to this forum have banged on about the EU overstepping the mark, yet in a couple of threads on this subject many have been critical of the EU for not getting involved in the problems of a sovereign state.

I find it a little baffling that so often contributors to this forum have banged on about the EU overstepping the mark, yet in a couple of threads on this subject many have been critical of the EU for not getting involved in the problems of a sovereign state.

I think most people's comments about the EU's lack of involvement, are more about the blatant disregard for Human Rights, that just got ignored.

john-claude-junker ...........has spoken.................

he has said...........there are cracks in the EU as a result of the Catilonia issue...............................not excactly what he said ver-batum.....but "cracks and EU" in the same sentance..

Err the heavy handed police, beating people who were out to vote peacefully, regardless of whether it was a legal vote or not.

There was multiple statements made in respect to the heavy handed handed policing and also apologies from the federal Spanish government.

It is still a sovereign issue and not one for public EU interference.

There was multiple statements made in respect to the heavy handed handed policing and also apologies from the federal Spanish government.

It is still a sovereign issue and not one for public EU interference.

An extract from article 3 of The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR)

Article 3 – torture

Main article: Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Article 3 prohibits torture and "inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". There are no exceptions or limitations on this right. This provision usually applies, apart from torture, to cases of severe police violence and poor conditions in detention.

Article 3 – torture

Main article: Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Article 3 prohibits torture and "inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". There are no exceptions or limitations on this right. This provision usually applies, apart from torture, to cases of severe police violence and poor conditions in detention.

Oh boy that is a hell of a stretch to suggest that heavy handed policing in what is an extremely limited context could somehow be tantamount to some state level abrogation of human rights.

Certainly there is likely sufficient cause for a few individual police officers to be prosecuted for assault in respect to their behaviour, however to suggest that Spain is in sufficient breach of the ECHR to merit EU involvement, based on the episode of a single day on 0.00002% of the Spanish population is quite frankly just a bit mental.

I daresay many of you will be delighted to hear Donald Tusk say the following:

“For [the] EU nothing changes. Spain remains our only interlocutor,” Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, said. However, Mr Tusk also cautioned against using force to restore order, urging the Spanish government to favour “force of argument, not argument of force”.

The European Convention on Human Rights is an international treaty, not EU specific, and was set up after WW2.

The Catalans could approach the European Court of Human Rights to pursue any claim. That claim would have to be against the Spanish government, not the EU.

The European Convention on Human Rights is an international treaty, not EU specific, and was set up after WW2.

The Catalans could approach the European Court of Human Rights to pursue any claim. That claim would have to be against the Spanish government, not the EU.

I think most people's comments about the EU's lack of involvement, are more about the blatant disregard for Human Rights, that just got ignored.

I was just pointing out that the EU said nothing to condemn the disregards to Human rights as the reason (imho) why people are commenting on the EU. not that they are accountable.