rust while out on marsh

adi786

Hi Guys,

I've got composite black beretta, and fowling down marsh is .. welcoming rust on ur gun... as mine isn't in camo, if i leave gun in slip for an hour drive to home after flight.. its starts to get rust on top.. although am drying it when getting back to car, recently i'v'e started to oil it and use well napier gun cleaning spray on it before going.. but want to know more reliable way to keep it safe.. was thinking to buy these camo tapes?? not sure what you guys using... who're facing same issue like myself?

even if slip is dry it starts to appear on top of barrel... even took cloth along to dry it.. went back to car.. disassemble dried... in slip.. didn't help 100%...

I solved the problem by buying a spray tin of Rustolean Primer a Colour to suit my taste wiped barrel with meth's sprayed with Primer 5 min
Later Colour job done never ever rust's and plenty left to do several shotguns and rifles

doesn't it come off? and believe when taken off barrel, won't be damaging actual barrel...

I use a side by side and painted my barrels with matt black paint to stop rust, and on the action i have started using "eds red" with lanolin in it, it is supposed to leave a coating on the metal that gives protection against rust forming.

I have only used this at the start of this season so it early days yet to see how good it is.

I use a side by side and painted my barrels with matt black paint to stop rust, and on the action i have started using "eds red" with lanolin in it, it is supposed to leave a coating on the metal that gives protection against rust forming.

I have only used this at the start of this season so it early days yet to see how good it is.

"eds red" haven't made it ever so far, been using napier, re mat black paint, which brand etc, and is it easy to do , and does the gun look oki.. or looks wierd :).. hopefully when taken off the barrel blow will stay in its original condition?

I used black board paint you just brush it on and it gives a good hard wearing finish

In days of old....

We all used to paint our very old guns with something like this.

It was a mark of a seasoned fowler to have a rust or paint covered gun.

We never took anything of value out on the marsh.

At basic level a gun is just a couple, or in these days of 'pogosticks' one, piece of tube with a wooden or plastic handle.

Point it straight and it will shoot strait. Forget the resale value - Just don't sell it.

i had camo one before never had any issues or to worry about rust when out... never ever had any rust at all.. not got this beretta a400 light wood.. and its a pain, so trying to find a way to keep it in its condition..

If i paint do "Krylon paint" and after season is it easy to take it off, keeping the bottom barrel in its original condition?

After watching my sons gun virtually growing rust each time we went out, he decided to get a Hatsan black synthetic, he decided to get it after another Fowler told us about the time he slipped in the mud and his Hatsan got plugged and coated in mud.

He just took it home and stripped it down and had a shower with it then dried it off and oiled it and it works right as rain.

Like the other poster said dont take a gun of high value out on the shore , salt water eats guns

After watching my sons gun virtually growing rust each time we went out, he decided to get a Hatsan black synthetic, he decided to get it after another Fowler told us about the time he slipped in the mud and his Hatsan got plugged and coated in mud.

He just took it home and stripped it down and had a shower with it then dried it off and oiled it and it works right as rain.

Like the other poster said dont take a gun of high value out on the shore , salt water eats guns

i've been thinking to get hatsan, but not hearing great about them... mainly they not long lasting.. and start to give issues specially cycling :(

hi adi have u got a300 outlander?cos i have one and while they are good mechanicly they are carp in everything else,total rubbish on wood and finish but they shoot well,,and everyone ive looked at are the same wood made from pallets,3rd rade blackin thats rusts quicker than u can blink.so not all berettas are 1st class

even if slip is dry it starts to appear on top of barrel... even took cloth along to dry it.. went back to car.. disassemble dried... in slip.. didn't help 100%...

doesn't it come off? and believe when taken off barrel, won't be damaging actual barrel...

I done a O/U which I had 8-9 years in that time paint never came off.

Before i part exchanged it i Nitro Moore's the barrel and metal wiped with meth's them Gun Oil the gun shop thought I'd had the barrels recently re-blued my .17HMR and Mod have been done 15 years again no problem.

The paint is/was £6•50-£8•50 depending where you buy eg homebase B&Q or online

hi adi have u got a300 outlander?cos i have one and while they are good mechanicly they are carp in everything else,total rubbish on wood and finish but they shoot well,,and everyone ive looked at are the same wood made from pallets,3rd rade blackin thats rusts quicker than u can blink.so not all berettas are 1st class

got a400 xplorer light... they haven't got good rust protection quoting for sure

got a400 xplorer light... they haven't got good rust protection quoting for sure

totally agree with u

Edited by adi786

Read up on that cerakote. They used gun grade stainless steel, left it in a sea salt environment.it showed signs of rust after about 24hrs. They then did mild steel, same environment but cerakoted. They gave up waiting after 2000hrs.

Pricey but worth it

And Rustolean is just as good a lot lot cheaper and you can do it yourself also have plenty left to do several other weapons

every time i clean my gun i finish it off with a good rub of woole steel and clean it off silicone oil inside and outside.

This is for both my Beretta and my Hatsan (as both used to develop rust in alkaline environment) and they stop rusting.

That said I re-blue the barrels every year with a bit of tetra gun and as the guns get old they develop weak spots on the blueing where rust tend to stick to very quickly. Keep these at bay and rust...goes away :lol: