BLACK GOOSE

black powder gunner

This afternoon I went down onto our inland marsh to repair one of our permanent hides has I was nailing some boards on when the magic sound of geese approaching to my left got down in the hide and about a hundred greylags went over about thirty feet high but one of them was jet black with no markings what so ever. Was it a greylag or another breed of goose any ideas.

That's what I was thinking. We get a few each year where I am. Or a Bean Goose? Very dark plumage.

I wouldn't have thought a Bean Goose with it being a member of the Grey geese family and they passed the op only 10 yards away ( 30ft ) , but then again you could well be right , they are slightly darker , but we wasn't told the size in comparison to the Greylags . if it was the same size as Greylags then I think it would rule out a Brent ,

I'd stake my life on it NOT being a Bean Goose as in flight they have the opposite to Black look on the underside is White .

Depending on size I'd plum for Brent if it was a Goose but having said that someone with 40 years Wildfowling experience surprises me they can't I'd the bird

Last night we went onto the marsh for a evening flight when it was still light the first bunch of greylags to come over us the black goose was with them these were about seventy yards up so out of shot. It is the same size as a greylag and looks like a greylag but it is jet black. We do some times get brent geese later in the season and it is not a brent. We had a good flight and shot eight greys between three of us.

Well you see black squirrels and black rabbits, so why not a black Greylag?.....I know of no solid coloured black goose, maybe an exotic escapee from some collection/park/zoo etc? Or a melanistic Greylag?

You need to get a closer look! Lol!

Edited by panoma1

Any suggestions derbyduck on what it was.

I was thinking maybe a brent untill the op said that they get brents ocassionly over thier land and dismissed it being a brent ! so i'll go with a dark colured greylag ,not a bean goose as they are lighter than pinks when overhead .

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

So please do enlighten me to what is so different to the picture of the Greylag than the thousands I've shot and seen !!!!!!!

I havnt shot thousands and neither would i, however i do have hundreds of resident greylag geese around my house, some a few mtrs from my door and of all of those, I have never seen one that approached the dark colour of the one I posted, however I do accept that there are many shades of grey, One thing for sure is the pointlessness of arguing about it, It was never my intention to be so provocative when i posted the photo just merely to point out that the OP may have seen a rare dark greylag, (given that there is such a thing,)  one thing when/if i do see a dark greylag I will try to photograph or shoot it, then we will be able to argue about its greyness for a few pages 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I havnt shot thousands and neither would i, however i do have hundreds of resident greylag geese around my house, some a few mtrs from my door and of all of those, I have never seen one that approached the dark colour of the one I posted, however I do accept that there are many shades of grey, One thing for sure is the pointlessness of arguing about it, It was never my intention to be so provocative when i posted the photo just merely to point out that the OP may have seen a rare dark greylag, (given that there is such a thing,)  one thing when/if i do see a dark greylag I will try to photograph or shoot it, then we will be able to argue about its greyness for a few pages 

It is not or was my intention to upset or offend anyone and definitely not to come across as i know everything.

But I've shot Geese all over England Scotland Scottish Islands for nearly fifty years I've every species you could imagine including White Piebald Luecistic and cross breed Geese the picture you posted in my opinion is nothing unusual .

As for the black goose the Thread is about IF the OP is adamant it is a Goose of greylag size I'd say it's a Greylag cross Canada with more Canada than Greylag again which are quite common