The "walk / stand " pheasant shoot.

Nowadays I mostly wildfowl but I will occasionally get invited out for a day at the pheasants,(maybe once or twice a year). These days are mostly about the craic, catching up with folk and,(most importantly), having a safe day.

One thing I have generally noticed is that the guns that have dogs (maybe half of the folk on a given day) do the majority of the beating. Guns without, tend to do a lot of the standing. I've always thought it made more sense to split the guns into an A and a B team and take turns about.

How do most folk on here work their syndicate? Hunting the dogs is half the enjoyment in a day but sometimes you do wonder if you left the hound at home, would you be better off,(wouldn't be half the fun though!).

50/50.

Thats how it should be, draw numbers or anything?

Young uns walk old ones stand. Not fair really but needs must and the older ones have already done their bit over the years

Yep. Cant expect the old lads to walk all day but its definitely not a fair split either. Not really a way around it? Edited by wildfowler.250

We old uns, do our share, it is strictly 50/50.

David.

Cheers for the reply David. Im not saying its strictly older people. Mostly folk without dogs ect. I know a lot of retired lads put in extra hours during the week for maintenance ect that goes unnoticed and under appreciated. Just curious whether most syndicates draw numbers and so on or run A and B teams ect? The ones Ive been on where they chose folk to beat through each drive as the day progresses generally tends to single out the ones with the dogs or the younger lads ect.

At the end of the day its just a bit of craic and only food for thought.

Edited by wildfowler.250

50/50 split and fixed teams, draw peg numbers, walk / stand swap each week.

A few years ago I was in syndicate where the old boys werent physically able to beat, the younger chaps found it funny how they could walk up Everest if it got them in the hotspots.....

We run two teams (same people in each team) for the whole season. Dogs shared out evenly. Can't really see any other way that is fair.

David.

Same on mine. Pretty even split between both teams of guns with dogs. Five drives per day shoot one walk one. I never thought there was any other way of doing it 😞

Ps

I actually prefer working my cocker on the beating line than the actual shooting

The one thing we do that is a bit different is we shoot 3, walk 3 so that you can stash your gun and cartridges safely and just concentrate on the beating and in the other half of the day concentrate on the shooting when it is yur turn. We also alternate shooting first and beating first. I think it is a better system.

David.

Used to have two sets of numbers 1-9. Dog handlers would pick first so splitting them as even as possible, then the non dog owners.

Used to allow any birds going back to be shot by the beating team which was policed very tightly. Everyone seemed to get a fair share.

I have to admit that I am now closing fast on the later half of my seventies and suffer from sciatica and aches and pains as you do as you get older, I am unable to walk adequately to be in a beating team, so I buy my days driven. No doubt, all of those years working a dog where the very best. It ain't all about killing things, although to hear some ranting on, you would think it was but they miss so much.

We divide two teams to ensure as best as possible, that there are a similar number of dogs in each team, then its stand one beat one.

However, most of the guns have dogs and many guns have partners who beat but dont shoot, so they take the dogs when the guns stand.

Some of the beaters who dont shoot have dogs also.

The 50/50sp;it is the best way,althou ihave to admit sometimesour shoot becomes a wee bit more random esp if ur short of numbers sometimes i'll ask a 'gun'with a dogto beat ifithink we need extra dogs in a wood.

We shoot in the beating line too for birds breaking back out the side so usually try to put the gun where he should get a shot.

I'm sure on most shoots any young folk with dogs will end up doing the bulk of the beating or long walks (which is fair enough really)

I have always experienced the usual 50/50 split, but on several shoots guns with dogs have asked to beat as they like to work their dogs.

This mostly happened on open land shooting, where there were plenty of chances of a shot at birds going out the side, or going back.

The important thing is to keep everybody happy.

The one thing we do that is a bit different is we shoot 3, walk 3 so that you can stash your gun and cartridges safely and just concentrate on the beating and in the other half of the day concentrate on the shooting when it is yur turn. We also alternate shooting first and beating first. I think it is a better system.

David.

We now use this system and agree with David its the best and fairest.

Cheers for the replies gents. Didnt realize so many folk did it a week about. Quite like the idea of beat 3 and stand 3. As I say, I gave up a lot of the syndicate stuff a while back and just go for the craic occasionally now. But always interesting to see how things are done differently!

I'm sure on most shoots any young folk with dogs will end up doing the bulk of the beating or long walks (which is fair enough really)

Ah but is that fair when your paying the same money and end up doing most of the work on the day?

This mostly happened on open land shooting, where there were plenty of chances of a shot at birds going out the side, or going back.

The important thing is to keep everybody happy.

As you say it is all about enjoying the day thats most important. I used to be in a rough shoot years ago between 6-8 guns. The chaps with the dogs made up more than half the bag in these instances so were better off. Have to say though, it doesnt really compare having a bird driven towards you compared to shooting one up the bum going away when it comes to presentation or difficulty! Edited by wildfowler.250

Young uns walk old ones stand. Not fair really but needs must and the older ones have already done their bit over the years

That's the only way the young uns will learn.

In fact the two small shoots I am member of its 50 /50 unless there is an infirm member who is not required to beat.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

Fairest way I’ve seen is if a member can’t or won’t walk they bring a beater to do it for them, no burden to the rest of the team then. Also never to keep the same a and b teams each week but all pick a number and it’s odds and evens on the day. Otherwise I’ve been beating and one team it was a very quick match through so they could get to their next drive and shoot doing the other team out of a decent and fair shoot.

Only trouble is the young lads get frustrated with lack of stands and driven shooting. They dont get the older guy has done his part for many generations bit. I agree its frustrating buts thats the way it goes. That said the oldest in our syndicate is a greedy old sod and always wangles into the best bits because he cant walk far

I dont feel im getting enough shooting at driven birds because im walking all the time so when I have a let day or as a guest my shooting lets me down and I get frustrated so I am looking to a slightly bigger syndicate next season.