£400 PCP?

SurreySquireler

I am looking for a .177 PCP for around £400, probably second hand. What do people recommend? I was thinking a BSA ultra although that has a very low shot count for my liking but otherwise looks perfect. Definitely not an AA s200; I have never got on with that gun for some reason!

I am not sure about multishot or single shot having only ever hunted with a multi- is it practical with a single? Also what do you think about the newer offerings from brocock? I want a hunting gun that will be accurate out to the 30-40 yard mark but I don't really need target level accuracy, so will a cheaper gun from Brocock or Gamo fit the bill. Mainly to be used for walk and stalk type of shooting squirrels and rabbits and the occasional ratting session.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I would go for a Multi if you can get it for hunting. Mainly as when its cold/ dark you dont have to fumble about with pellets for the next shot or a follow up shot.

Personally look for an AA410, BSA Ultra/ Scorpion. Pity you are a bit away from me as I am planning to sell my regulated AA410 carbine due to a dear friend leaving me his BSA scorpion in his will and me not needing two air rifles for hunting.

Edited by Zetter

Yup another one for Multi. it's so much easier to hunt with a multishot. fill up a couple of magazines as you set out and you have 20-odd shots hassle free, whether it's dark, light, wet, dry etc..

If you don't need to budget for a charging mechanism as well, as Zetter suggests, a 410 would be in the budget, or the BSA Ultra SE. I'm not a huge fan of it, especially with that horrible plastic stock, but it's a great no nonsense hunter and is nice and accurate. You get 50 or so shots in the .177 and that's more than enough for most hunting trips.

Yup another one for Multi. it's so much easier to hunt with a multishot. fill up a couple of magazines as you set out and you have 20-odd shots hassle free, whether it's dark, light, wet, dry etc..

If you don't need to budget for a charging mechanism as well, as Zetter suggests, a 410 would be in the budget, or the BSA Ultra SE. I'm not a huge fan of it, especially with that horrible plastic stock, but it's a great no nonsense hunter and is nice and accurate. You get 50 or so shots in the .177 and that's more than enough for most hunting trips.

I still dream of shooting 50 rabbits in one outing Chris I'm sure those fabled permissions exist but I'm not sure where :lol:

Edited by Zetter

A brand new walther rm8 is only £400 and very good value. As acurate as you coukd need and a good shot count (160)

Second hand aa s410 should be easily doable for £400 too. Legendary reliability.

Ultra just has the downside of lower shot count but maybe a scorpion for the bigger tube?

What about a S10 or even if you are lucky an early r10.

So many options out there.....

Edd

Multi every time, so easy just loading up a magazine, cannot imagine shooting single shot, too much fiddle and faff if you need a follow up shot or have the chance of a quick second, especially if your ratting.

As for rifle? Who knows, second hand plenty of choice just depends if you want to add the cost of rfd in otherwise wait for something local you can try out.

Thanks- definitely multishot then

And any feedback on the new brocock/ gamo offering?

Otherwise its just a waiting game for something to come up

I like the brocock range. They're small and light and good for shooting where you're cramped for space. The compatto's let down, in my opinion, by a fairly agricultural side cocking action. It's nowhere near as nice as the S510 or the HW100/110. And it's not got a very nice stock, but other than that a second hand one could be in budget

Thanks- definitely multishot then

And any feedback on the new brocock/ gamo offering?

Otherwise its just a waiting game for something to come up

Gamo PCP rifles are made by BSA in Birmingham. I think the Phox is as good as its gets for the money especially the new version which is screw cut and uses a std screw on silencer.