Road Tax Confusion

TaxiDriver

I thought you can no longer transfer road tax when selling a vehicle, but recently I've had two occurrences that would seem to contradict this ???

I bought a motorbike for my son, and the previous owner sent off the V5 with my son detailed as the new keeper, We put a SORN on it as he can't ride it just yet, He duly received a new V5, AND, a refund on the road tax ??? which I would have thought should have gone to the previous owner.

Tonight,

I've gone to tax my new bike using the new V5 in my name and I can't as the DVLA's site insists there's still 2 months tax on the bike ???

Surely the previous owner would have or should have got this as a refund when he notified the DVLA of change of keeper.

i could be totally wrong but sounds like theyre using the old rule where the tax went with the vehicle not the current 1 ,where its on "you".Ive just got my second car in two months thanks to an uninsured scumbag and i got the tax back from my first which i,d paid an had to freshly tax the replacement as it was "non" transferable from the written off vehicle <both the same make/model/year>

Good luck with the tax man