Protected no claims?

Lloyd90

Anyone advice on whether it is worth it?

Originally quoted £399.

After speaking to them saying I found it cheaper elsewhere Ive justbeen quoted £282.

However, now I have 4 years no claims I can protect my no claims. It adds £91.84 and comes in totalling £374ish.

Now heres the kicker, they told me I could possibly make 2 fault claims in a 3 year period and keep the 4 years no-claims bonus BUT any claims, even if they arent your fault, could still effect the price of your policy?!

Is it worth it or just a way to get extra ££ out of you??

Yes, a claim regardless of blame will influence next year premium- but is next years premium increase as a result of a claim ‘Plus’ the additional increase to to a reduction of NCD worth the outlay now?

£91 to protect seems a bit steep compared to what we pay ( maybe as we have been on max Bonus for many years it goes on a slid8ng scale?)

Also, even if you don’t protect it, you do not loose all of your Bonus earned in the event of a claim- your policy booklet will show the step back that it takes

Hi there

£91 is steep but if some clown causes your insurers to have to write the car off , it will seem very little compared with the cost of the new policy if you don't have it protected cheers Phil

I don't think it is worthwhile;

In 40 years motoring I have made 2 claims. One was my fault, and the other was not my fault. On each occasion I lost 20% of the 'no claims bonus', which builds back up again in the following year(s). I don't have the actual figures, but I'm 100% sure that if I had taken out a protected NCB, I would have paid a good deal more over the 40 years.

Any claim will affect your premium.

Swinton are currently claiming that there are over a million uninsured drivers on our roads, and if they cant pay, you will. But as far as Im aware it will certainly affect your NCB, so you will anyhow.

Im not really sure there is such a thing as a good deal as far as insurance goes.

Just had a scumbag destroy our car and drive off in a uninsured and unregistered car so we took the hit so to speak.But i had the 2 no fault clause and 9 years no claims NCD which was protected .So i still have 9 years ncd but have maxed my 2 NF/C /They paid out in 8 days and have insured my new car for and extra £31 to transfer the policy so yes at the minute its worth it but come renewal next year it may be a different story .

My experience of insurance tells me next year i could be on the fat annoying Italians website but so far so good .And commenting on Scullys Swinton reference 5 other people at work have been hit by scrotes similar so in 1 factory 6 people have suffered this pain ,multiply that by all the factorys across Britain it is probably over that million

I have always had protected only because its only ever been about twenty quid. Don't think I would be paying £91

That's roughly what I pay,

When I asked the guy on the phone if it was worth it he said ask me next year,

Meaning if I had a claim then yes but if I didn't then no, I have maximum no claims so I quite happily pay my 20 odd quid

:shaun:

I have always had protected only because its only ever been about twenty quid. Don't think I would be paying £91

That's roughly what I pay,

When I asked the guy on the phone if it was worth it he said ask me next year,

Meaning if I had a claim then yes but if I didn't then no, I have maximum no claims so I quite happily pay my 20 odd quid

:shaun:

Yep, max for me too. Obviously the more none claim years the cheaper the protected is

Edited by Dunkield
sorting these quote brackets out ;)

No such thing as 'protected' bonus any more. It's all smoke and mirrors by the marketing boys now. They will tell you it's protected but they need a certain amount out of you and this will then be adjusted so that you thinks it is net of 60/65% NCD iro of your claims history.

This has been so since I retired from motor insurance 11yrs ago.

If you have a motor accident, And if you buy a NCD protection from your current insurance company, Does this NCD apply if you change to a new insurance company the following year? Or is it only with you current insurer?

Its only with the company you've bought it from, so if you switch companies you'll need to state/take out NCD protection with their insurance policy as well.

Correct me if Im wrong but, if you have a claim whilst under your 'protected' NCD, then move ins companies, you no longer have the protection, so must declare the claim to the new company?

Its all very well taking protection out with the new company, but they will protect what you have, not what you had.

To my mind ,its a way of locking you to an insurance company

Correct me if Im wrong but, if you have a claim whilst under your 'protected' NCD, then move ins companies, you no longer have the protection, so must declare the claim to the new company?

Its all very well taking protection out with the new company, but they will protect what you have, not what you had.

To my mind ,its a way of locking you to an insurance company

:eh:

Say you have 7 years NCD, and you take out a protected NCD insurance policy with company A in January, you have an accident in June.

Your NCD is protected by your policy from company A and you continue with them until its time to renew the following January.

You decide you want to switch companies so when it comes to get the new policy you still have your 7 years NCD, its then up to you if you want to pay the extra for protected NCD with company B. You will still have to declare the crash and that would bump up your base line premium cost but you'd still have the 7 years NCD, whereas if you didn't have the protection you'd be dropped to 5 years NCD, or whatever penalty scale company A operated.

You were going to pay 12 months of premiums with company A, or maybe already have paid the full lot up front, so I fail to see that this is being 'locked in' with them. :hmm:

:eh:

Say you have 7 years NCD, and you take out a protected NCD insurance policy with company A in January, you have an accident in June.

Your NCD is protected by your policy from company A and you continue with them until its time to renew the following January.

You decide you want to switch companies so when it comes to get the new policy you still have your 7 years NCD, its then up to you if you want to pay the extra for protected NCD with company B. You will still have to declare the crash and that would bump up your base line premium cost but you'd still have the 7 years NCD, whereas if you didn't have the protection you'd be dropped to 5 years NCD, or whatever penalty scale company A operated.

You were going to pay 12 months of premiums with company A, or maybe already have paid the full lot up front, so I fail to see that this is being 'locked in' with them. :hmm:

Thats assuming PNCD is transferable between companies, I thought it wasnt.

And if it isnt, then when company A loads you after your claim, and you try to get a cheaper quote, you have to state you now only have 5 years, then protect those 5 years, if you choose.

As in most instances even without a claim, your insurance goes up every year, so a lot of people move every year.

if you have lost most or all of your NCD ,this can make moving a bad option.

Thats what I meant by being locked in.

Dear oh dear are none of you listening to me - there is no such thing as protected NCD anymore. There is simply a rate for the risk based on the risk and your own driving record. Yes you will be asked/told it is 'protected' but this is marketing speak to make you think your premium will not take a massive hike if you have a claim. Claim and your premium will almost certainly increase. You may be lucky and claim and see no or a minimal rate rise but trust me every insurer will regularly assess the rate rise to achieve its target profit and if you are in a cell of risks requiring a rate rise then protected or not you will get an increase.

There is also retention pricing going on ie insurers know the levels of increase which will cause you to move elsewhere and if you are within a group which they like then again even if you have had a claim you may escape an increase or suffer a minimal increase as they want to keep you! And they will con you by telling you it is because you are 'protected'!!