Wildfowling Scotland

Hunter2

I don't often get the time to post but I felt I needed to....

Just got back from my annual trip wildfowling duck and geese, (Location Scotland) met a number of shooters who still think its ok to use LEAD shot below the high water mark, well can I tell its not..

only Steel and Non Toxic shot must be used on the foreshore below the high water mark in England & Scotland,

So for those of you who are putting our sport at risk please don't...

See BASC guidance https://basc.org.uk/lead/

It was nice to see so many shooters but please stop using lead shot - it would be so easy for you to loose your licence and get a fine and could place conditions on wildfowling shooters in the future

I don't make the rules but following them, yeah sure steel shot is not as good as lead but still managed to down birds with steel and non toxic shot,

So stop putting my sport at risk by using LEAD shot you know who you are......

Now I expect some of you to reply and that's fare enough but I am not interested in a battle just making my point....

As Lord Rockley would say I am having a Rant,

Just got back from my annual trip wildfowling duck and geese, (Location Scotland) met a number of shooters who still think its ok to use LEAD shot below the high water mark, well can I tell its not..

only Steel and Non Toxic shot must be used on the foreshore below the high water mark in England & Scotland,

It was nice to see so many shooters but please stop using lead shot - it would be so easy for you to loose your licence and get a fine and could place conditions on wildfowling shooters in the future

I don't make the rules but following them, yeah sure steel shot is not as good as lead but still managed to down birds with steel and non toxic shot,

Now I expect some of you to reply and that's fare enough but I am not interested in a battle just making my point....

Where did you go ? Pm if you want , I went last week , never seen anything like it ! Lead cases all over , high shooting was a joke .

You will get some law breakers on lead but i think its rare, when you get talking to Fowler’s up there on Ammo and reloading its 90% steel being discussed rest is HW13 and TSS, i do not think its common at all on the shores up there..

. Just landed back home from up there far north, , Quiet where we went saw Two fowler’s Monday morning in one little bay and a father and his son on the night flight from Lancashire. Rest of the time three other places very quiet saw no high shooting and i know for a fact the two fowler’s Monday morning were on steel as they gave me a load and a couple of cartridges with Vit Powder RSI wads and Federal cases.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOooooooooo Steel NOT as good as LEAD !!!!! Get ready to book some shooting lessons, or THAT is what I was told by the PW masses !

The club im in no one would think of using lead some of the commitee members would go around checking your ammo if they suspect anything anyone using lead for duck Are just putting the sport in danger with the RSPB always snopping about Think them reports from scotland are a disgrace

The problem. I believe, lies with the have a go goose shooters, most definitely not the wildfowlers

Is that just an opinion or do you have proof?

The only reason I ask is that the wild Fowlers often pointed the finger of none compliance at game shooters, but as yet not backed up that claim with proof.

It is a shame, but I know for a fact that lead is used for ducks on game shoots. The general belief is that steel is not good enough.

I too know that lead is often used by game shots on duck flights on game shoots; what I want to know is that it is beyond doubt that there arent wildfowlers using it.

Seems a tad difficult to prove despite some of the claims made in the past.

I too know that lead is often used by game shots on duck flights on game shoots; what I want to know is that it is beyond doubt that there arent wildfowlers using it.

Seems a tad difficult to prove despite some of the claims made in the past.

As you rightly say , proving it is nigh on impossible , in all the years I have been wildfowling both inland and coastal I have never been asked what type of shot I am using , and to put the shoe on the other foot , I have never asked any fowler what sort of shot they are using , it just don't seem the done thing .

With three shot autos been used more now than ever before for fowling, we do find more empty shells on the marsh and yes there is the odd lead case but how can you tell weather or not it had been a home loader , loaded with non toxic shot ?,

The new ruling about non toxic shot have been in force a number of years now and I have never heard of any local , or anyone else come to that being found guilty abusing the new laws , and I have my doubts if we ever will .

As you rightly say , proving it is nigh on impossible , in all the years I have been wildfowling both inland and coastal I have never been asked what type of shot I am using , and to put the shoe on the other foot , I have never asked any fowler what sort of shot they are using , it just don't seem the done thing .

With three shot autos been used more now than ever before for fowling, we do find more empty shells on the marsh and yes there is the odd lead case but how can you tell weather or not it had been a home loader , loaded with non toxic shot ?,

The new ruling about non toxic shot have been in force a number of years now and I have never heard of any local , or anyone else come to that being found guilty abusing the new laws , and I have my doubts if we ever will .

Yes, like I said; difficult to prove beyond doubt.

There are enough problems caused by the enemies of shooting alleging/insinuating and exaggerating lawbreaking, without the shooting community joining in......in life, the selfish few generally spoil things for the many, it's the job of the authorities to enforce the laws the government introduces.....if there is no enforcement, the few will carry on ignoring it! And in the end we will all suffer!

The antis will continue with their campaign against shooting by exaggerating lawbreaking.........the authorities can not/will not enforce the law because it is too difficult to prove/bring charges/prosecute, so some shooters will continue to break the law......then the lawmakers will have to come up with more draconian laws in order to bring about compliance....I'll leave it up to PW to speculate how that could be done.....but I guarantee it will not be of benefit to shooting!

Agree panoma1 ive never seen any wildfowler using lead shot had heard reports that a couple of shooters here in n ireland who were shooting the foreshore NOT a members of that club who were caught using lead and the cops were called didnt see it myself But have never shot driven ducks on game shoots so cant comment what kind of shot there using on estatesTheres to many restrictions on shooting already with out Idiots ruining it for us All

Just a little food for thought here, in Scotland the offence is to shoot lead over a wetland of all descriptions, and is not restricted to wildfowl and waders. Shooting clays, pigeons, vermin and game over water with lead is an offence.

By the same token sitting on the sea wall shooting incoming ducks and geese over the farmers land does not break the law on lead. So here in Scotland shooting ducks on a game day with lead is not an issue as long as you don't fire over the water.

I personally use steel when on the shore at all times, and when down South on duck days.

Lead is used inland decoying and on duck days in Scotland.

For this reason and this grey area many folk will continue to use lead, at the end of day how can you prove what cartridges are being used by an individual if he has (which is common) a pocketful of lead and pocketful of steel?

You can't prove easily what cartridges folk use. What I do know, is that in most wildfowling clubs, there is a rule that no-one is to carry any lead shells on to the marsh. Anyone found carrying any will in most cases find that they will be expelled from the club.

I Believe this over obsessing about wildfowlers using lead on the shores still in Scotland or England is way out of step with reality.

Cases found wads found all prove nothing Any case can be loaded with anything no one would know even wads lead wads work with bismuth so who is to say ammo was not Reloaded as such marked as lead or not.

another point Its an well seasoned wildfowler who can ever relate to using lead on the shores, those in their late 20s early 30s wont even remember Lead on waterfowl on the shores in england and wales, Steel is the acepted shot type with the occasional HW or bismuth Reload on occasion but bulk of ammo encountered is Steel.

It is folly yo post on lead being used and probably doing the sport more damage than keeping stum about it and hoping these rare miscreants die of old age peace fully in their beds, leaving the youngsters who only know steel to go about this marvellous sport as decent law abiding sportsmen and women.

You will always get law breakers in any walk of life but in wildfowling thankfully they are few and far between .

Have you reported this to a club secretary.?

Ranting on PW isn't going to solve it.....