Wildfowling Scotland

Hunter2

Bazooka Joe, I am doubting that the OP is describing anywhere that is on club ground. If this sort of thing would happen on ground patrolled by wardens, then it would likely quickly be stamped out. Regular high shooting is not tolerated on the grounds I shoot.

Bazooka Joe, I am doubting that the OP is describing anywhere that is on club ground. If this sort of thing would happen on ground patrolled by wardens, then it would likely quickly be stamped out. Regular high shooting is not tolerated on the grounds I shoot.

Unless the OP contributes further, well never know.

He didnt mention high birds, just the use of lead shot.

As someone else stated....just having a rant on here wont get anything done.

Edited by Scully

Last evening I met up with two wildfowlers from Essex.

Both told me that as far as they knew no one on their marshes ever used lead. What was telling, and there is a post which alludes to this, is that one of them homeloads and uses whichever cartridge cases he has available, and that may include some which have lead written on them.

Last evening I met up with two wildfowlers from Essex.

Both told me that AS FAR AS THEY KNEW no one on their marshes ever used lead. What was telling, and there is a post which alludes to this, is that one of them homeloads and uses whichever cartridge cases he has available, and that may include some which have lead written on them.

My point exactly.

When the ban on lead came in 3 friends of mine declared they would not change. they are all homeloaders and bought vast loads of lead to load as normal for wildfowling.

I still regularly shoot with these guys on 10 different ponds. the do not shoot duck over ponds but as they flight to ponds. we shoot over decoys placed approximately 50 mtrs away from ponds.

all done perfectly legal.

I am fortunate in that I shoot steel for all of my wild bird shooting so can experience some good flights on the ponds being the only gun on pond.(silver lining)

Its the law that's at fault here not the shooter.

I was querying about steel loads at my local RFD a few weeks ago and asked about the most popular steel cartridge for duck.

the RFDS answer, very few guns buy steel or any non toxic shell.

The only time ive heard of any query about lead shot fowl is when talking to local gamedealer. For own consumption WGAF.

Bazooka Joe, in Scotland we don't have wild fowling club wardens as it is Crown foreshore open to anyone below the High Water Mark. In fact some folk will shoot their 1st ever shot with a shotgun on the foreshore as no restrictions exist.

As stated above the crime here is to shoot lead over a wetland.

How crazy geese and ducks 1 side of the Solway can be shot with lead and on the other non toxic must be used.

By the same token drive into Scotland from England with an air rifle in your motor without your visitors permit and risk unto 5 years in the jail!

The lead ban over water in Scotland is a joke, Italians that come here to shoot geese and duck over inland marsh land and flight ponds all use lead, syndicates that shoot over marshland use lead , only dedicated wildfowlers play by the rules the rest couldn't give a ****, we need prosecutions but that is not going to happen, Jim.

The lead ban over water in Scotland is a joke, Italians that come here to shoot geese and duck over inland marsh land and flight ponds all use lead, syndicates that shoot over marshland use lead , only dedicated wildfowlers play by the rules the rest couldn't give a ****, we need prosecutions but that is not going to happen, Jim.

It feels like the dedicated wildfowlers are being out numbered by groups of goose shooters when it comes to shooting some parts of the crown foreshore in some parts of Scotland.

When the ban on lead came in 3 friends of mine declared they would not change. they are all homeloaders and bought vast loads of lead to load as normal for wildfowling.

I still regularly shoot with these guys on 10 different ponds. the do not shoot duck over ponds but as they flight to ponds. we shoot over decoys placed approximately 50 mtrs away from ponds.

all done perfectly legal.

I am fortunate in that I shoot steel for all of my wild bird shooting so can experience some good flights on the ponds being the only gun on pond.(silver lining)

Its the law that's at fault here not the shooter.

I was querying about steel loads at my local RFD a few weeks ago and asked about the most popular steel cartridge for duck.

the RFDS answer, very few guns buy steel or any non toxic shell.

The only time ive heard of any query about lead shot fowl is when talking to local gamedealer. For own consumption WGAF.

Yeah! Remember all this rhetoric The ILL never put STEEL through my barrels comments promptly followed by hastily purchased Lead stocks, which never saw the light of day again, The reality soon dawned on them Breaking the Law is not a good idea, and steel being not half bad compared to what had been quoted about it.

Now same Never through my barrels fowlers are toting the same semi autos everyone else is and rolling with the Steel they were so set against in those early days of non tox..