This nearly didn't happen.

JDog

Mightymariner and I planned to get out today. As is my usual lazy habit I went back to bed after taking the dog out early. At 9 am with the rain hammering at the bedroom window and the BBC weather forecast showing a wet day I sent him a message asking if he was free another day. This was code for 'I don't want to go out in this rain'. He either never saw the message or ignored it and he turned up at 10 am. I had just got out of my jimjams.

Out we went to a field of bean stubble which was cut yesterday. In normal circumstances this would be too soon but I have seen pigeons on the field for a month so I thought it was a reasonable prospect. The wind was gusting to 20 mph and the rain spitted throughout. We saw lots of large packs of newly arrived pigeons which flew backwards and forwards 200m high. Sometimes individual birds peeled off and just dived out of the sky towards the rotary. This was truly an amazing sight, not unlike a Peregrine stooping.

This happened throughout our three hour stay and occasionally birds came sweeping in from behind and straight in. Not one bird presented itself as an easy target and we did well to shoot 46 pigeons, some at very long range. This was one of the best outings I have had for a long time.

A good and accurate report.

I saw Jdog's message on my phone halfway to his house, so carried on....I was keen to shoot somewhere today come what may. I did give him the option of staying by the log burner but he was easily prised out of the house.

We had a really enjoyable few hours, the birds really dropping from the skies with set wings.....there's nothing to beat it.

Good old Jasper retrieved a few of my birds that stuttered on a bit too.

Nice way to clear your head after suffering from the virus that most people are getting a doze of at the moment , I had it last week and it wasn't that great , but should be fine for this Saturdays shoot .

Apart from sugar beet tops we haven't got any crops left for pigeons to go after so like Squirrels and Hedgehogs my decoys are in semi hibernation till the rape becomes a draw, or in some cases the last days of the game shooting is over .

Sounds like the type of session were the spectacle of seeing pigeon acrobatics made the shooting just a secondary bonus.

You did well to interest any of those twitchy birds.

Seems very late for bean harvesting,i can imagine the spillage on the stubble there!