Glorious Yorkshire

Mice!

It pains me to say it as a Lancashire lad, but we've just had two glorious days in Yorkshire,

the first day was drive to forbidden corner, think we spent 3½ four hours there, about a two hour drive despite my navigator sending me wrong. If you've got kids aged 3plus I can't recommend the place enough, daughter is 6 lad 3, and they loved it as did we, never seen anything like it.

We drove to Masham where we stayed at the kings head, large family room, great beer and food, good breakfast and a bit of an explore around town before setting off for Bolton abbey, more great scenery on windy roads, dead rabbits everywhere and plenty of very healthy pheasants, the highlight of this hours journey being spotting a Red kite, a first for me unfortunately the daughter missed it despite me pulling over and jumping out the car.

Bolton abbey, the stepping stones and the surrounding woods with the activities which are there and pumpkin trail were great fun, kids couldn't manage the stones in the river on their own but everything else, stone skimming and fella catching small grayling under the bridge was great, plenty of space and amazing views given the time of year.

Bumped into a group of shooters back at the car park who had been on the grouse and he said that after thinking they would be rained off they started about 11 and shot straight through for a hundred brace.

So it seems Yorkshire is booming and I've no doubt we'll be back, happy children, happy wife, happy life

😊 Mice!

I was born in Yorkshire. 😁

Mice

Bolton abbey is great isn't it and only an hour and a bit away for us. Can I suggest next time you visit gods own county that you try Hawes and or grassington. The former have a very good Dickensian market near Xmas, your kids will love it 😁

It pains me to say it as a Lancashire lad, but we've just had two glorious days in Yorkshire,

the first day was drive to forbidden corner, think we spent 3½ four hours there, about a two hour drive despite my navigator sending me wrong. If you've got kids aged 3plus I can't recommend the place enough, daughter is 6 lad 3, and they loved it as did we, never seen anything like it.

We drove to Masham where we stayed at the kings head, large family room, great beer and food, good breakfast and a bit of an explore around town before setting off for Bolton abbey, more great scenery on windy roads, dead rabbits everywhere and plenty of very healthy pheasants, the highlight of this hours journey being spotting a Red kite, a first for me unfortunately the daughter missed it despite me pulling over and jumping out the car.

Bolton abbey, the stepping stones and the surrounding woods with the activities which are there and pumpkin trail were great fun, kids couldn't manage the stones in the river on their own but everything else, stone skimming and fella catching small grayling under the bridge was great, plenty of space and amazing views given the time of year.

Bumped into a group of shooters back at the car park who had been on the grouse and he said that after thinking they would be rained off they started about 11 and shot straight through for a hundred brace.

So it seems Yorkshire is booming and I've no doubt we'll be back, happy children, happy wife, happy life

😊 Mice!

I was at Bolton Abby on Sunday with the dog, love it there, had lunch at the Devonshire pub, great few hours..also robinhoods bay/Whitby on a frosty morning is worth a trip, fish and chips at the magpie cafe... Edited by Archie-fox

Toured around there in September, also visited Otley ( the wife used to get "farmed out" to stay with an aunt for summer holidays) found a great eating place "Stew & Oyster" (that is what the menu comprises various stews & a choice of oyster dishes) had a beef & oyster stew ,big hearty stew,big chunks of beef, tasty gravy , a chunk of artisan bread & Old Peculier butter, GORGEOUS!, & £6.50.Building was the birthplace of Thomas Chippendale.Well worth a visit.

Was up there yesterday .. a real treat for a boy from the fens !!

Not as big a bag (45 brace) than we'd hoped for, but with 25-30 mph winds behind them they were certainly shifting.

I'd happily take a fortnight off to go beating on the moors, just to be there is fantastic!!

Lucky boy.

+1 for Bolton Abbey.

Went to the Devonshire Arms this summer to watch stepson play cricket and meet his new, Spanish, girlfriend.

It was a glorious weekend.

Could quite happily live in that part of the world.

North Yorks will be where we end up, Wensleydale, Leyburn.

Might be quicker than we think if Brexit doesn't suit the farming business, we'll sell the farm and buy up there.

Edited by kyska

Think it was Bolton abbey syndicate that was shooting, it was there main car park where I saw the shooters anyway.

We drove past the Devonshire arms, it was packed in the car park, folk might well have been walking but looked a nice spot for sure.

I was born in Yorkshire. 😁

Mice

Bolton abbey is great isn't it and only an hour and a bit away for us. Can I suggest next time you visit gods own county that you try Hawes and or grassington. The former have a very good Dickensian market near Xmas, your kids will love it 😁

I new there was a funny smell to what you were typing 🤣🤣

Think it was Bolton abbey syndicate that was shooting, it was there main car park where I saw the shooters anyway.

We drove past the Devonshire arms, it was packed in the car park, folk might well have been walking but looked a nice spot for sure.

I new there was a funny smell to what you were typing 🤣🤣

Ha, ya cheeky *** 😉

I was born in Lancashire and Cornwall is my favourite county. After that - Yorkshire is as good as it gets. Great countryside, nice coastal towns and some friendly people. I agree about Hawes - not sure what exactly makes it so good, but it is a very nice spot.

We visit Yorkshire most weeks for their beef dripping cooked fish and chips. You can't get better.

If you were in Masham I hope you sampled some Old Peculiar.

After 3 (or might have been 4) pints of OP (and the wife drinking equal amounts - and still only weighs 7 1/2 stone. Life ain't fair, but I digress) we decided to get passport photo's taken....

10 years of regret for both of us, with many (read, nearly all) passport control / border guards / Homeland Security officers thinking we are liabilities.

Never again (not the OP. Just wait a few days for the passport photos).

A pint of OP and a good ploughmans is food of the Gods.

I was born in Lancashire and Cornwall is my favourite county. After that - Yorkshire is as good as it gets. Great countryside, nice coastal towns and some friendly people. I agree about Hawes - not sure what exactly makes it so good, but it is a very nice spot.

We visit Yorkshire most weeks for their beef dripping cooked fish and chips. You can't get better.

We don't know why we like it so much either, I think it's the years of going, regardless of season. I particularly like Leyburn area too, I know they are close but both towns have a very different feel.

We'd just have to decide what to do if we sold up and moved!

After 3 (or might have been 4) pints of OP (and the wife drinking equal amounts - and still only weighs 7 1/2 stone. Life ain't fair, but I digress) we decided to get passport photo's taken....

10 years of regret for both of us, with many (read, nearly all) passport control / border guards / Homeland Security officers thinking we are liabilities.

Never again (not the OP. Just wait a few days for the passport photos).

A pint of OP and a good ploughmans is food of the Gods.

Very funny, the barmaid did say the OP wasn't a session beer, I had actually asked for XB but been misheard, it went very nicely with my sea food grill.

The Bolton Abbey estate and Bishopsdale near Aysgarth are where I do the bulk of my rabbiting,,It really is a fantastic place !

We'll sir, you are lucky indeed. I imagine waiting on frosty ground in those surroundings for a rabbit to hit your nets is breath taking.