Decision time, help me choose .223

30-6

After a recent post regarding a .223 twist rates, I have narrowed it down to two guns, upping my budget.

Sauer 100 new model with fluted barrel and coated finish 1/10 twist or Tikka t3x probably stainless barrel 1/12 twist. Both have had rave reviews by our Mr P., in the mags. Both about the same price.

To re-cap previous post :-

Wish to buy new, shoot factory loaded 40/50 ish grain ammo, off tripod.

Or, go crazy and buy the " keeper " package from Sauer ?

Seems to be an inherently accurate round so it is just down to your personal preference.

I bought a secondhand CZ 527 for next to nothing and spent the savings on decent glass - that works for me.

I have seen those 527 .223 in action (the plastic stock one) and I was well impressed with its performance.

• 2 months later...

i bought the keeper package last year, I take it to Thorpe cloud and have shot sub moa groups out to 300 with 55grain  factory ammo. It is a Very nice gun/combo. 

Looking forward to building a load up with a heavier bullet now I’m reloading  so I can push it out to 500 yard. 

I also have a mauser m12, the sauer doesn’t seem as well finished, that’s just my opinion. 

Edited by Abstall

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old CZ527 which I re-barreled and dropped into a Boyds thumbhole stock, fully devcon bedded.  Very accurate rifle and love the mini-mauser action.  Never saw the sense in using a long action with bolt stop for the little 223 cartridge a la Tikka although I do love Tikka rifles and own a few. I'd caution against buying used.  You don't know what you're buying and there's always the possibility that the owner didn't properly care for the rifle or plain lied in the advert used to sell, so there's always the possibility of needing a rebarrel sooner than you'd like to think.  That happened to me.  Once bitten...

Would I splash out on a Sauer full gamekeeper package?  Nice outfit but I'd probably go with the following instead:

CZ527 Varmint plus Steiner ranger scope plus Aimsport Aimzonic moderator plus Kozap QR one piece mounts = £1930 (or 1840 with Delta Titanium scope).  Buy £100 worth of ammo with the change and have something every bit as accurate.  At least that's what I'd do as I like the 527 action.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/mauser-cz-527-varmint-rifle-review

Edited by Savhmr

Love my cz527 american in 223. Bought 2nd hand 5 years ago and is my go to rifle.

Pal and I are trying to produce the cheapest rounds for it and also for his cz 527 in 222.

Bought 1200 bullets made by PPU (50 grain SP) when they were £12.50 a hundred and are shooting sub moa with them in both rifles.

Excellent results using Ramshot Exterminator and TAC powder. Have now settled on Vit 133 for ease of obtaining replacement powder.

As stated previously factory rifle rifling is hopeless using over 55 grain bullets. Mine shot 10 rounds sideways through an indoor range target at 50yds with a spread of 15 inches! so be very careful outdoors.