Teague chokes- terrible service.

Seadog1408

After a lengthy phone call to Teague chokes regarding multi choking my .410 ( I gave them make and model and was told they could do it) I duly sent it to them for the work to be done, however a week later I get a call to say that they can't do it due to it not fitting in their jig!! So due to their balls up I have had to lump the costs of send/return of the gun. No apology was forthcoming.

So that's a -1 out of 5 stars for the service provided.

Mike

After a lengthy phone call to Teague chokes regarding multi choking my .410 ( I gave them make and model and was told they could do it) I duly sent it to them for the work to be done, however a week later I get a call to say that they can't do it due to it not fitting in their jig!! So due to their balls up I have had to lump the costs of send/return of the gun. No apology was forthcoming.

So that's a -1 out of 5 stars for the service provided.

Mike

Nope, not at all.

It will never ever cease to amaze me how many businesses conduct themselves like this.

It's important to be nice to people, but putting that aside for a minute - it's just business 101 if you want to grow. They've lost their sale off me now, my 2 extended choke sale was probably not going to make or break the business but word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Steady on, Guys.

We don't know the overall picture. Was a quote given for the work? I was quoted for the machining and supply and fitting of two chokes plus return delivery (delivered the gun by hand). That's what I paid and the work was done on schedule. They've been doing this for a long time so I imagine their selection of jigs is pretty comprehensive enabling the vast majority of guns to be worked without a problem. Then up pops a 'one off'. How much is it going to cost in terms of time and money to make the required jig - remembering the work arrived unseen? Who's going to pay for this as it'll probably make a mockery of the quoted price? Is it a viable business proposition? Is the customer happy to pay for this 'one off'? Etc,etc.

Return delivery and apologies are something else.

Steady on, Guys.

We don't know the overall picture. Was a quote given for the work? I was quoted for the machining and supply and fitting of two chokes plus return delivery (delivered the gun by hand). That's what I paid and the work was done on schedule. They've been doing this for a long time so I imagine their selection of jigs is pretty comprehensive enabling the vast majority of guns to be worked without a problem. Then up pops a 'one off'. How much is it going to cost in terms of time and money to make the required jig - remembering the work arrived unseen? Who's going to pay for this as it'll probably make a mockery of the quoted price? Is it a viable business proposition? Is the customer happy to pay for this 'one off'? Etc,etc.

Teague chokes knew make and model of gun at the time of verbal quote via telephone, they stated they could carry out the work, a week later they stated they couldn't carry out the work and I was left with 2x carriage fees and no apology,

Steady on, Guys.

This is all I was speaking with regard to though, probably the most important part of business is the customer service. Just because you couldn't deliver the original product/work, doesn't mean customer service is out of play.

Nigel Teague is pretty much retired now, although he does some smithing and gun fitting from home. Ivan Reid is in charge of the day to day running of the business. I may see him on Sunday, in which case I'll refer him to this thread.

I've had work done several times by Nigel Teague, although not for a few years and I've always been very well treated.

Teague chokes knew make and model of gun at the time of verbal quote via telephone, they stated they could carry out the work, a week later they stated they couldn't carry out the work and I was left with 2x carriage fees and no apology,

Simply out of interest, what was the make and model and was/were the choke/s as manufactured?

Nigel Teague is pretty much retired now, although he does some smithing and gun fitting from home. Ivan Reid is in charge of the day to day running of the business. I may see him on Sunday, in which case I'll refer him to this thread.

I've had work done several times by Nigel Teague, although not for a few years and I've always been very well treated.

I have to say that the contact I've had with Teague in the past have had excellent customer service.

They have now been taken over by Westley Richards (and moved premises to Wiltshire I believe), so there will be different upper management in place. I also know that sadly Westley Richards lost their long term Managing Director (to illness) last December.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Don’t Brierly chokes also do this type of work in the Uk, they might be able to do it. In fact anyone who is ok on a lathe should be able to do it. It’s only tapering and threading a piece of tube to set diameter and boring out the barrel to suit.