Remington steel

Hi guys rang alan myers in search of some alliant steel and he told me that he is expecting his delivery at the middle of the month but said he has a few kilos of remmington steel powder i have tried a Google search for more info but shows nothing for it. So i was wondering if anyone on here might of heard or some knowledge of this powder? Regards hatsan

Hi guys rang alan myers in search of some alliant steel and he told me that he is expecting his delivery at the middle of the month but said he has a few kilos of remmington steel powder i have tried a Google search for more info but shows nothing for it. So i was wondering if anyone on here might of heard or some knowledge of this powder? Regards hatsan

He will mean The type of powder Remington uses in the Remington factory steel loadings, Remington had connections with Dupont at one time, but they have soused powders from several manufacturers over the years recently they used Tight group in STS loads and other Powders Clays being another, But quite what they load in the steel ammo i can not imagine. 4756 or 4759 perhaps but answers here will be like this one guessing. .

I am sure if you enquire a little more with Alan he will fill you in far better than second guessing what it actually is he is selling you.

All he has said to me is he has tested a few loads in the 8 and 10 bores using alliant steel data and was achieving similar speeds but with less pressures but he never said if the loads were steel lead or any other non toxic shot he did mention a load but i cant remember what shot weight he said or speed. But i would imagine if its capable of pushing heavy lead loads at good speeds and with a bit of common sense it should be able to make a half decent 38 gram 3.5inch steel load in the 12 bore or even a half decent 32 34 36 gram 3in load.

Had another chat with him. He told me it is a industrial proprietary blend made by remington. He has only done test loads with 8 and 10 bores with lead and someone else has done something with a 4 bore. Just a difficult one to work on. Its a very very fine ball type powder. Think i will keep hold of it till he does some more tests with the 12 with steel shot

At the moment i think its a few kilos he got to try out mate. Tryed a knocking up a load but the issue I had was the wad sits very low in the hull with 41 grain and lbc53 wad with 38 gram but due to how low the wad sits i took it a part and left it alone for now

Work out your colum length requirements and trim the hulls a little.

Remington use Hodgdon powder in the STS loads Nitro loads Tight group. Ball powder it will be some derivative of Discontinued HS series Hodgdon powders, Blends of W 571and W 540.

I personally would not ask Remington Pinfireman, for the simple reason Some ammo company’s can go all miserable about People using their powders and if there is a way out with this powder it could be some higher ranking person might then get to hear and decide the way out needs stopping and take it on board to do exactly that just my opinion on it that’s all.

It wants rolling with Myers is no armature he will be working up some loads worth using i am pleased this powder is around let us hope it gets to be a regular thing.

Well i have worked up a load in a 2&3/4 inch cheddite hull and primer and it shoots really nice rather under pressured though. So a little more playing about with it. But so far it patterns really well once i have finalised the load and got the powder burning right and got it tested i will post my findings but from what i have found the powder will only be suitable for 2 3/4 and 3 inch hulls but the load i have worked up will be a very good duck load