How does the Winchester SXP feel compared to SX3/SX4

evolution380

Recently as the clay grounds were quiet I had a play with my cousins SXP that he bought along for me to try.

I only had one round of FITASC with it so doesn't give a full picture but I outshot my score with my O/U and despite pumping between shots was confidently clearing the doubles.

It just felt right for some reason:

I therefore have a couple of questions:

1:

Could it be possible that a single barrel favours me for some reason and that i find it more pointable than an o/u?

2:

I really like the SX3/SX4's and would probably opt for one of those has anybody used the SXP alongside the SX3 / SX4? I'm assuming they are fairly similar in design (at least i hope)

Theres nowhere that has clay grounds and a Demo SX3 / SX4 around me (Nottingham) that I can find to try out before I buy however if it is fairly similar to the pump then i'd be happy!

The barrels on the pump were 28 inch long, it felt very fast and more instinctive than my mk38 with 30 inch barrels I assume this additional length may be favouring me to?

I love my O/U and wouldn't part with it but I do want something a little more rugged that i don't have to give my coat if it begins to rain! I'm very much drawn to the Winchester after my experience with the SXP it just seemed to fit like a glove.

Edited by evolution380

cant quote on sx range I shoot a Remington wingmaster best score 39 out of 50 I think with pump it slows you down and stops you rushing 2nd shot

Yes one of my problems is that I think too much even whilst shooting, always been a flaw with Golf etc. I wish I could just empty my mind of thoughts.

I was thinking so much about the pumping I didn't think about the shot really and not sure if that helped in some way and that i'd lose that benefit with a Semi-Auto. Wouldn't mind getting the pump but I wouldn't take it clay bashing whereas I wouldn't mind taking the Semi-Auto.

When i got my o/u back in my hands I found myself trying to pump it on the second shot, the muscle memory kicked in fast :lol:

Yes one of my problems is that I think too much even whilst shooting, always been a flaw with Golf etc. I wish I could just empty my mind of thoughts.

I was thinking so much about the pumping I didn't think about the shot really and not sure if that helped in some way and that i'd lose that benefit with a Semi-Auto. Wouldn't mind getting the pump but I wouldn't take it clay bashing whereas I wouldn't mind taking the Semi-Auto.

When i got my o/u back in my hands I found myself trying to pump it on the second shot, the muscle memory kicked in fast :lol:

nowt wrong with pump for clays whats funny is when somebody as a go with it then use semi and miss secend shot because they couldent pump it

They feel exactly the same to mount but different to shoot the ax being a lot softer and faster to get the second shot off, just the action workings are different. If you like it a sx3 red flannagun sporter would be the one for sporting clays. Being the dedicated sporter model. Also the Browning Maxus will suit you too being basically the same as the SX guns.

I’ve had a SX3 and prefer the Benelli semi autos, I’d say try as many as you can. The Benelli Super Sport is a good clay gun too.

Your location still isn’t in your profile.

I have an sx3 and a sxp. They both fit the same but the sxp feels more front/barrel heavy compared to the sx3. The sx3 has a much more refined trigger pull, the sxp has miles of travel in the trigger pull in comparison. The sxp has the safety in front of the trigger guard, the sx3 is behind the guard but you get used to both.

The sx3 feels a more refined gun compared to the sxp. If I was just shooting clays I would get the sx3.

As I mostly wildfowl in very muddy places the sxp wins for me!

• 3 months later...