What's the ultimate all round gun .

Harnser

Marshman dont think there is a all round gun Ive seen over the years some plonkers on clay grounds/ wildfowling /game shoots with expensive guns who couldnt hit a cows **** :lol::lol: at 10 yards I went through a time when i was buying and selling guns and wasting money trying to keep up with guys i hunt with not anymore Have a semi auto and A side by side im happy with for all my shooting needs I said in a previous post couple weeks ago brought a baikal o/u to a game shoot guy on next peg had a beretta silver hawk new And was topped out in tweed head to toe i shot double the birds he did because the gun fitted me well Would love to fire a hammer gun havent seen very few here in N Ireland :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshman dont think there is a all round gun Ive seen over the years some plonkers on clay grounds/ wildfowling /game shoots with expensive guns who couldnt hit a cows **** :lol::lol: at 10 yards I went through a time when i was buying and selling guns and wasting money trying to keep up with guys i hunt with not anymore Have a semi auto and A side by side im happy with for all my shooting needs I said in a previous post couple weeks ago brought a baikal o/u to a game shoot guy on next peg had a beretta silver hawk new And was topped out in tweed head to toe i shot double the birds he did because the gun fitted me well Would love to fire a hammer gun havent seen very few here in N Ireland :)

Sound like a man of my own heart Gerry , I bought two hammer guns in March just before I moved house , they are nice guns , one is a Midland and the other is a Thomas Wild , I only wanted the one that was nitro proofed ( T / Wild ) but the other one was Black powder and had been his stable mate and being it wasn't a lot of money I bought them both to keep them together :yes: .

When I get time I am going to take it pigeon shooting and hope to rekindle the joy I had when I last used one , if you were this side of the pond and within distance to me , you would be more than welcome to borrow one and come for a days pigeon shooting with me , you never know you might end up with one in your cabinet . :lol:

All round shotgun.... hmmmmmm???

Assuming I would not get thrown out of any fancy driven shoot, then I have to go with my original Remington 870 Wingmaster. I would add a 28 or 30 inch barrel with interchangeable chokes, to the two barrels ..26 inch skeet and 30 inch very full choke barrel I have at present. If I had a tenner for everything I have shot with that shotgun I would be a fairly wealthy person. Ultra reliable, just one extractor claw replaced in 30yrs, purchased a pack of five just in case I live long enough to have to replace another :good: .

I must see if I can trace the year it was made from the serial number. It was second hand and a five shot when I purchased it from the gun auctions in Birmingham for a song.

A Fancy driven shoot with a pump has always appealed to me, must be the del boy in me! Check with Remingtonowners.com, I'm sure they will help with dating your 870, they dated my 1894 SxS and included other info too

Having a very nice gun and not being able to shoot very well is not something to be ashamed of. Same as not being able to buy expensive guns but being able to shoot well it’s either. Both parties will get enjoyment, one from the feel and handling of his nice gun and clothes the other from his or her shooting prowess. Bit like having a fast car or big Range Rover and not driving fast or going off roaring in it.

I wonder how some can say their finest SXS is the ultimate all rounder when clearly it’s not. It can’t shoot big heavy loads or Hp steel couldn’t take any abuse in harsh conditions so has nothing ultimate about it.

Having a very nice gun and not being able to shoot very well is not something to be ashamed of. Same as not being able to buy expensive guns but being able to shoot well its either. Both parties will get enjoyment, one from the feel and handling of his nice gun and clothes the other from his or her shooting prowess. Bit like having a fast car or big Range Rover and not driving fast or going off roaring in it.

I wonder how some can say their finest SXS is the ultimate all rounder when clearly its not. It cant shoot big heavy loads or Hp steel couldnt take any abuse in harsh conditions so has nothing ultimate about it.

The truth is that there all a compromise thats why we need a lot and spares

I wonder how some can say their finest SXS is the ultimate all rounder when clearly it’s not. It can’t shoot big heavy loads or Hp steel couldn’t take any abuse in harsh conditions so has nothing ultimate about it.

AYA No2 3" magnum bored 1/2 choke in both barrels,I think that covers it !!!!!

For a group of people with a common interest, how the debate rages! Its what keeps us coming back to PW :yes: Just been speaking to an elderly relative (not a PW member, does not have a computer or mobile!) and mentioned this discussion topic, his opinion was that he had the ultimate! A £12, auction purchase, Cooey single barrel 12g. Why would he need more than one shot he argued, and if he did he would reload, can't say fairer than that I suppose!

AYA No2 3" magnum bored 1/2 choke in both barrels,I think that covers it !!!!!

Only if you think a magnum number 2 is a nice fine shotgun :lol:

What gun would you choose if you were going to be stranded on an island and had to fend for you self . The island would have game birds , bear .wild pigs ,small game and wild fowl and deer . With the choice of only one gun what gun would you choose ? I would still choose my beretta self loader .

Harnser

Ditchy, out of curiosity, how could you purchase a gun when your 14 :hmm: serious question.

already had my certificate.....gave my apple picking money to my next door neighbor he bought it and stayed with him until it was transfered back to me when i was old enuff.... :good:

What gun would you choose if you were going to be stranded on an island and had to fend for you self . The island would have game birds , bear .wild pigs ,small game and wild fowl and deer . With the choice of only one gun what gun would you choose ? I would still choose my beretta self loader .

Harnser

Holland and Holland paradox gun

Harnser

Yep beretta auto mine would be the 302 magnum, although the barrel is now on my 303 field deluxe

Edited by sishyplops

Holland and Holland paradox gun

A friend of mine had a Wesley Richards paradox . If my memory serves me correctly it was rifled for three inches in front of the forcing cone. Very nice piece of kit . You would be able to take down deer with it and bear if you had to using slugs .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

A friend of mine had a Wesley Richards paradox . If my memory serves me correctly it was rifled for three inches in front of the forcing cone. Very nice piece of kit . You would be able to take down deer with it and bear if you had to using slugs .

Harnser

I'm jealous of your friend. One day I will own one.....

Harnser

The browning special waterfowl would do all of them with the correct ammunition and choke choice 😊

Harnser

Probably a Beretta 303 with a magnum barrel.

:shaun:

I think the best choice so far is the parodox gun . These were disigned to be the ultimate all rounder . Used mainly by civil servants going out to India in the days of the empire to hunt game birds and big dangerous game in their spare time . Having a shot gun that could shoot rifled slugs would be a great advantage in a survival situation . These guns were coveted by their owners are are still very collectable . One gun did everything .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser