Barrel lapping

brett1985

On 03/11/2017 at 15:13, Gunman said:

Its hard work , there's no money in it and it takes along time to learn ,Not to mention the simple fact that so many people in" the search for economy" will buy stuff from the US to save a couple of quid rather than support local shops .I was in the trade for neigh on 50 years , apprenticed as a gun maker and 40 years as a gunsmith repairing ,renovating and rebuilding guns ,from many Countries as well as the London and Birmingham trades , so I have seen the decline and changes in the trade from the sharp end .

Work wise it cost as as much to black a pair of barrels be it a Purdey or a Beretta .and people did not want to pay for the time and experience .

After all you can see some clown from America showing you how to ****** up a gun on YouTube ,so why pay someone else to do the work correctly? See any shooting forum and you will get the recommendation from some one .Do it your self , dont pay a professional .

As to youngsters coming into the trade then first thing you have to get across is that you do not spend all day playing with guns .

Not to mention the fact that with constant new legislation making it more and more difficult and the future of our sport under threat would you want your son to spend 5 years learning a craft that could be shut down by political whim?

My opinion ,rant over .

That really just about sums it up.

It's the same with a lot of traditional trades unfortunately.Particularly in engineering.