Lots of pigeons.

JDog

Still suffering from the effects of the lurgy I decided on another morning of 'look see' from the car.

Four miles from home and newly arrived lot of 500 pigeons were doing acrobatics then diving into a wood. At the other end of the farm two bunches of 300 and 200 were doing the same.

As I write I have driven four miles and there is another enormous cloud of maybe 1000 pigeons aimlessly flying about then landing all together.

I would rather see ten pigeons down feeding and a weak line in to join them than try to deal with these flocks.

Edited by JDog

I haven't seen any serious numbers of pigeons either building up or already built up , yesterday I saw 150 / 200 on some fresh cultivated beet tops , today I was busy and the weather was flat calm and tomorrow we are shooting game in what might be a wet day , so fingers crossed they might still be there Monday .

On some parts of the rape i shoot am seeing flocks 20-40 on other parts seeing no birds at all.

Our rape is looking as good as I have seen it for a few years , tall and lush at the moment, haven't had a frost on it yet and we are now in the first week of Nov , if it keep like this I don't expect to see pigeons on it much before Christmas .

I saw a flock of about 100 + today, they were all sitting in a small wood, all got up a flew around when I disturbed them. they all flew around for a bit then all came back to the same wood. they weren't around last week, think they must be migrant birds, as its only 5 mins from the home gonna sit on the edge of the wood tomorrow see if I can get a few. better than sitting in doors!!

I saw a flock of about 100 + today, they were all sitting in a small wood, all got up a flew around when I disturbed them. they all flew around for a bit then all came back to the same wood. they weren't around last week, think they must be migrant birds, as its only 5 mins from the home gonna sit on the edge of the wood tomorrow see if I can get a few. better than sitting in doors!!

Watching paint dry is better than sitting indoors hope you fill your boots.

I would never assume that pigeons suddenly turning up means they must be migrants. The ever changing sources of food etc keeps pigeons on the move.

Agreed, but in this case I am sure that they are new arrivals. I haven't seen an aggregate of pigeons like this since I have been in Lincolnshire.

Its my opinion that most of the flocks people are seeing are local-ish birds from a 5-10-15 mile radius of the woods they are in.

pigeons in this area have had a good breeding season, at a rough guess I would think numbers are 25 to 30% up on last year, with such big numbers I think we will see pigeons hitting the rape early this year.