Early for the Rape

pigeon controller

Following the torrential downpour we had overnight we ventured out into the continuing rain in the belief that it would clear and the sun would take over. I'd been given a heads up on Wednesday from Bunny_Blaster that he was working in a small village and the pigeons kept flying over head so they must be feeding in the close vicinity. So I had a drive around and all I could see was birds feeding on acorns and when you approached a tree it would explode with fifty plus birds and they would move to another. I've stated it before but we are in the "Forest of Arden" and this time of year we have migratory flocks move in and move out. The trick is to try and find the field they want to feed on. It was now 10.00 and we followed a weak flightline to a rape field and watched in disbelief as birds started to drop in the rape away from any Oak trees. As we watched the field the farmer pulled up next to us and said have a go. We didnot need telling twice and drove round the field and set up under an oak near the point that the birds were dropping in. We were set up for 11.00 but the wind kept changing so we ended up with the magnet directly in front of the hide and two patterns leading in from both sides of the tree, this meant that we had birds crossing in front and others decoying from both sides, which made interesting shooting. We checked the rape and it had been eaten by the birds which was very early in the year. We shot till 16.00 and picked up eightyfive pigeon and three crows.

100_2991.jpg

85 Pigeons and three crows

The only few birds I have seen on rape are on fields that have been direct drilled into stubble, like the field you are in. I was sure they was finding bits and bobs amongst the stubble. Perhaps not.

Great result and major brownie points with that farmer. :good:

The only few birds I have seen on rape are on fields that have been direct drilled into stubble, like the field you are in. I was sure they was finding bits and bobs amongst the stubble. Perhaps not.

Great result and major brownie points with that farmer. :good:

We expected them to be feeding on the stubble below the rape or chickweed but none evident but the leaves of the rape eaten.

A great result , I am sure the farmer was impressed.

It is early for the birds to be eating the rape and like Fuddster says, the rape in my area is high, thick and very lush.

If we get some frosts before Christmas it should knock it down a bit.

You bag could be a good sign, or perhaps I am just wishful thinking . :)

good bag on the rape wether its early or not, I have passed about 5 rape fields today and not a bird in sight on any of them, its very rare we shoot them in November on it, one exception a few years ago mid November we started on them but its usually late dec and a spell of cold weather when they go on it around here