Disappearing Dead Rats

slaphead

So, Ive spent about an hour for the last couple of nights shooting rats in my hen house which is more like a breeze block shed with an apex roof.

They come on at the top corner of the roof just above a shelf.When shot they end up on the shelf. I'm too lazy to move them and leave them for the missus to shift when she feeds the hens in a morning. HOWEVER... every time she has gone in there are no rats to be found...

Leaves me to think that:

1. The chickens are eating them

2. Bigger rats are coming in a dragging them off

3. The missus is sneakily putting them in my sandwiches as revenge

4. All I am doing is shooting Zombie rats and they play dead until I'm gone.

I'm on it again tonight an this time Ill set a trail camera up to see whats happening to them. How very odd!

Other rats dragging them off and scoffing them would be my take, shot a good few in the past and the moment they had been dispatched their ratty companions would drag them off at great speed. Witnessed this may times. If the deaduns are outside many times it will be crows hoovering them up.

Ratty will never pass up a free meal.

Nom, nom, nom!

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

rats, fox, badger the possibilities are endless :)

Its all in the space the size of a small garden shed with locked doors etc. It must be a rat thats having them then. Badgers fox etc all too big to get in and they would have the chickens too. There just isn't a trace of the dead rats at all.. Ill report what the trail camera sees if indeed it sees anything.

Other rats dragging them off and scoffing them would be my take, shot a good few in the past and the moment they had been dispatched their ratty companions would drag them off at great speed. Witnessed this may times. If the deaduns are outside many times it will be crows hoovering them up.

Ratty will never pass up a free meal.

Nom, nom, nom!

atb

7diaw

hello, i also would say as the above,

When you shoot a rat dead inbthe head or heart .They tend to lie still for about 10 seconds .then the nerves kick in and they can flip about a lot often falling down holes and behind walls etc.

So often you shoot one confirm its dead then look away for another when u look back its flipped away .

This and longer term the other rats WILL drag them off for a meal .

I've often shot many rats all in the same place almost lieing on top of each other .the warm blood of the first victim attracting the followers .

I remember shooting in excess of 50 rats one night in a barn corpses all over the place .8 am the next morning not a single one to be found .

I make a point of never picking up dead rats until I'm ready to leave at the end of the session. So many times I've seen a rat come from hiding to make a meal of the last one I shot. They'll often start by just licking at the blood oozing from the wound, but it doesn't take them long to realise they can get a more substantial meal from their fallen mates.

I've had several dead 'uns lying almost on top of one another at the end of an evening by constantly shooting the next one to come looking for a feast on the fallen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2017 at 17:22, Ultrastu said:

When you shoot a rat dead inbthe head or heart .They tend to lie still for about 10 seconds .then the nerves kick in and they can flip about a lot often falling down holes and behind walls etc.

So often you shoot one confirm its dead then look away for another when u look back its flipped away .

This and longer term the other rats WILL drag them off for a meal .

I've often shot many rats all in the same place almost lieing on top of each other .the warm blood of the first victim attracting the followers .

I remember shooting in excess of 50 rats one night in a barn corpses all over the place .8 am the next morning not a single one to be found .

This and the cannibalism. 

i shoot good numbers every week. i have never picked them up as i do not fancy climbing in with live stock at night, on my own. farmer says im doing more than enough to reduce the numbers. when i was chatting to him last week he asked if i was pick up the rats and binning them, nope, i leave them where they fall. he said he isnt finding many. so shot 80 odd the one evening and then went over next morning to have another chat, as we walked around we found only the odd couple. rest all gone. i then went over this week and as normal, you shot one, quick reload and others come to the party so i can shoot 2 or 3 very quickly. i shot a couple and next thing i saw was one moving, like a ninja, it looked like is was belly crawling away. after watching for a few seconds i notice another rat behind a brick was dragging the dead rat away. must have dragged it a good meter before i shot that one.

after this i waited after shooting the first rat and just watched. i can not confirm, lave rats drag dead rats off. well, try to no i know for sure i just wait and use dead rat as bait

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...