Wildfowling MUD

Gerry78

Went fowling sat morning shot 2 teal thats only the start of the story lol as we were walking over to set up the hide both my feet went down to my waist in what i can only describe as a mini sinkhole i was carrying rucksack with decoys nets etc and wading stick not to mention gun in slip my mate thought i was joking when i told him i couldnt move after about 10 mins of me and my mate pulling i ended up having to dump my gear and unhook my wader snaps and the mate pulled me out of the waders it took me another 5 mins to pull the waders out of the mud i was drained in the hide NOW ive shot that ground 10 years and thought i knew the ground Well SO Chaps never take walking on land lightly it scared the **** outa me just as well the mate was with me just wanted to post this regards safety :good: :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Bishop we have some members in our club who think they know it all i was telling them that i got stuck and was laughed at last week one of the young bucks who knows it all guess What he got stuck lol All joking aside we all enjoy wildfowling ive shot that ground for years but safety sometimes is taken for granted with some fowlers Our sport can be brilliant i dont think personally that any other shooting can come close to it but it can be dangerous :):)

I see lads walk across one strip as a short cut rather than follow the shore as they assume its solid enough.What they dont know is the farmer was called a few decades back to haul a bloke out as he had went down to his waist in sloppy mud at the same spot.When i was 11 stone i had the chance to "roll out" if i got stuck on mudbanks.But these days with my dramatically  increased  body weight after giving up the fags  id sink like a stone!!! :no:

Its well worth remembering that soft spots on the marsh can vary from tide to tide. On my local saltmarsh most of the creeks are firm sand during neap tides and crossing them is not a problem. But after a big spring tide the sand can become a severe danger, very  soft in a few places. I suspect during a big tide the sand particles become very lose ( the bigger the tide is the worse the problem ), while in neaps they they bond togeather better so are firm.