Where can I shoot?

DanBettin

Hope you all had a good weekend. Apologies if this is a bit of a daft question but my friend's got an electric trap I can have. As it so happens, I don't have a massive country estate of my own to shoot on. How would you usually go about knowing where I can set this up? Is it a case of getting permission from someone who owns the appropriate piece of land? What constitutes 'appropriate'?

Thanks a lot

Edited by DanBettin

Where did your friend use it? 

If you can’t use it where he did, then you’re faced with ( as you probably realise ) the unlikely task of finding a landowner who will allow you to cover his land with shattered pieces of pitch, with or without a financial incentive.

We do have such a landowner and he doesn’t see a problem with that, but that’s because he’s a shooter too.

Failing finding such a person, I would see if I could sell it or rent it to my local clay ground.

Yeah, it's only really worth having if you have somewhere to use it.

I've a trap and don't have enough ground of my own to use it. I have mine on my pals ground as he's into it but not as much as me. We used to use a manual trap, nick named "death trap", but that took both of us to be present, in use as the manual trap is sans the locking mechanism, so impossible to use alone. The automated trap with remote means I can shoot on my own and we have it there ready to go should we have a little informal shoot with friends. 

As I'm eternally grateful to my pal for accommodating a part of my shooting mania, i repay in kind. I was up there today (and shot 150 rounds at left and right edge on crossers :good:) and when I arrived he was off to cut willow for a hurdle job he has on, did he need a hand? no. But could I help him shift his cows at some point in the next few days?

Now I can think of a hundred things I'd rather do, but if he needs me to help him, shift cows sheer sheep etc. I'll arrange my spare time around that and make a point of being available. I believe he's doing me the much bigger favour so it's up to me the ensure he feels the arrangement is worth it. 

So I'm his orra loon (scots term for: additional odd job lad), paid for as described above. 

I'd take the trap and shed it. Then keep my ears open for opportunity to use it. You'll be surprised, having a trap can and will open a few doors. But finding a mutually beneficial arrangement is a medium term task.    

Edited by Uilleachan